Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

calling coons?

Old 12-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Spike

Default calling coons?

does anyone call coons w/ mouth calls? I dont know the laws on electronic calls around eastern, NC. Someone told me that it can be done w/ mouth calls and coons can be called out during the day. If anyone knows how, please help me out, it sounds fun. What type of call and what time of day? thanks
Old 12-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: calling coons?

I don't know that there is a mouth blown call that will consistantly pull coons out during the day, BUT I have a freind that can do it with just his mouth doing, what he called, a coon squal. I actually saw him do it once! Also, find out what the laws are in your state and it they allow ecallers, look into the Bandit. My best freind went hunting with the makers of it and they called out a bunch of coon, during daylight, and my friend actually shot a few of them with his bow. They actually got on film one coon attacking the ecaller while it was running, darndest thing I've ever seen on video. These Bandit guys seem to specialize in calling coons! The sounds that seem to really workare coon fighting sounds, something that hand calls can't do yet, to my knowledge!
Old 12-21-2005, 02:36 PM

do you have that link. Always tried to call some coons while on deer stand w/o any luck
Old 12-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

here's the link. My friend told me that these guys would get pretty close to the den trees, close enough that they could sometimes see the coons coming out of the dens as they were calling them. I've never tried calling coons, but after seeing some of the footage, it looks like fun!
http://www.minaskaoutdoors.com/
Old 12-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are some mouth calls marketed. We never used them to call coons during the day. Rather, we used them at night to gettreed coons to look at the our headlight and let us know where they were.

I never thought of trying to call coons during the day.I haven't seen to many out at that time. But, I guess that doing the calling at dusk would be productive.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:30 PM

I know a guy who uses an open reed coyote call to make a reel high pitched woodpecker distress call and that seems to bring em in. look in the trees up to 100 yards away though. sometimes they will just climb up there and watch you.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:14 PM

i love to hunt coons and since i dont have a dog i use calls the best one i have is the knight and hale fightin' chatter call here is the link for it all you do is shake it it is fool proof which is nice cause i am a fool

http://www.knightandhale.com/Search.aspx?find=coon%20call