Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

keeping steady

Old 01-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default keeping steady

when shooting a bow i have a problem keeping steady. i have 85% let off and have a stabelizer. i know its not the weight that is a problem. i brought it all the way down to 45 pounds(thats as low as my bow goes) and was still doing it. its only at 55 pounds now. can you give me any tips on staying steadyer. i know someone has a little secrete that might help sum. any body else having or had this problem?
Old 01-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: keeping steady

Go to an archery range and practice locking into full draw with your back muscles. Also keep your bow arm slightly bent and practice relaxing while you are at full draw. This is not a strength event. Try closing your eyes while relaxing ( at the range, not in your stand. )
Old 01-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

try taking some let off, off
Old 01-03-2006, 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: duckdog132

when shooting a bow i have a problem keeping steady. i have 85% let off and have a stabelizer. i know its not the weight that is a problem. i brought it all the way down to 45 pounds(thats as low as my bow goes) and was still doing it. its only at 55 pounds now. can you give me any tips on staying steadyer. i know someone has a little secrete that might help sum. any body else having or had this problem?
If possible I would slightly adjust draw lengths to see where you hold bow the steadiest. You will find a sweet spot there somewhere. Go 1/2 inch at a time. Don't really even need to change bow cams...just bend elbow slightly more and more to see where you can hold the steadiest. If you find your steadiest point is not putting string where you want it (anchor point at tip of nose), then adjust your draw length accordingly.

Also you can workout your shoulder muscles that control holding your bow out in front of you. If you find these shoulder muscles are getting tired too soon, then get them in better shape. Right hand shooters can shoottheir bow and pay attention totheir left top shoulder muscles. Ifthey arestraining during normal shooting, thenstrengthening that area will help.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

thanks people
Old 01-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you start off good and then it starts "wobbling"the more you shoot it?
If so then its just muscle.Your upper body will strengthen up the more you shoot it.
Another possible culprit would be your anchor.
Are you holding it away from your chin or is it snuggled tightly in.?
Like MilDot said,play with your draw length and find a comfortable anchor.
Also dont lock your arm at full draw,your muscles need to be relaxed somewhat.Just give it a slight relaxed bend at the elbow and hold tight to your anchor point.
Dont over shoot to make yourself tired---worse mistake you can make.Alot of bad habbits are made and hard to correct.Shoot a little each day and things will work out great.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

I assume you are using a release. I switched to a release (WinnFree SS) from a (very,very long time) two-fingers-undertabrelease this past February, and had a difficult time with the switchover, including holding steady.My old anchor point with a tab was no longer viable with the release. I finally found a way to anchor that helped me steady-up: by puttingmy thumb behind my neck. This approximated what my thumb was doing under my jaw bone when I used to shoot fingers, and the release hand no longer seemed to "float" as it had, in spite of mybest efforts to develop a solid anchor point. So I do not know if the technique can help you, but it may be something to try. Having a consistent, comfortable anchor point was the key.
Ditto on weight training - a balanced program three times a week to keep your upper bodyin "tone" should help.
-fsh