Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

cleaning squirrels

Old 10-16-2005, 07:06 PM

Default cleaning squirrels

i know how to skin a squirrel i was just wondering if you take the guts out right away, leave them in, what? then what meat do you take from the squirrel? is it just like a deer?

thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 08:51 AM

Default RE: cleaning squirrels

my father in law showed me an easy way to skin squirrel, but he leaves the guts in until all the hair is off. . . . i think its easier. . . .

he saves the liver (after taking off the gall) and he keeps the heart. . . providing the squirrel wasnt' shot in the head he keeps the head too and eats the brains. . . . i think he is nuts for eating the brains, but he enjoys 'em
Old 10-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

i usually just skin it like you would any other squirrel.
i eat everything that the squirrel has to offer meatwise.
the ribs are very scarse on the meat but you can pick some off of them

Old 10-20-2005, 05:25 PM

I usually throw them into a bucket of water first,(that wets the hair and keeps it off the meat) then chop off the head tail and feet,then skin wash and gut.cut the belly flap off and cut it into cooking size portions.
done.

when dad was alive , he would talk bad to me for shooting them in the head. we eat the brain also.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:46 AM

I don't know how you guys can stomach the brain, against my better judgement I tried it once and it just didn't appeal, it has a funny texture. I try and get head shots so I can save the rest of the body meat. I eat just the meat, none of the organs (i.e.- heart and liver), they have a funny taste, I guess it's just me. I use the stand on the hind feet and skin using the tail as a handle method, but it does help if you wet it first to keep the hair off the meat. I gut it as soon as I get all the skin off, it makes the process a little less messy to me, but I always try to skin the squirrel within a half an hour of when it was killed, I find the quicker you are to skin it, the better the meat tastes.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:57 PM

my dad taught me to skin squirrels like this:

1. shoot 'em in the head (usually there ain't much to cut after a good head shot

2. tie or nail the front feet to the side of the barn (two nails were already there. . . been used alot to skin squirrels)

3. take a REALLY sharp knife and start cuttin' (around front legs then down the belly, and around hind legs, then peel skin back and off

4. once hide is removed, gut out the tree rat

5. remove remainder of head, remove legs and tail

6. rinse off with cold water and then place in pot of salt water

grandma took over after that. . . .