Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Cleaning Squirrels

Old 09-22-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Cleaning Squirrels

I am planning on going squirrel hunting soon. the only thing is that i have no clue how to clean or cook them. If anyone could tell me how to clean them i would appriciate it.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cleaning Squirrels

to clean them i like to gut them first than grab ahold of the hide on the top of the back and make a cut down in. I than tear till i get the meat down to the back legs. I cut the tail off and pull the hide clear down to the feet. I than cut the feet off and pull the hide up towards the head pull it down over the front legs cut the feet off than once it reach's the neck cut the head off. Than i clean em under some water and soak em in a pan atleast overnight in salt water to get the blood outa em.

As far as a good squirrel recepie i normally wait till i get around 4 or so than i throw em in the crockpot all day on low heat with onion and garlic and let em cook. Very fine eating.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:30 PM

Default RE: Cleaning Squirrels

i usually cut the meat of the bones and fry it up in a pan. The throw it in some tomatoe sauce and let it simmer for awhile, that tastes good. I never did it, but since they about the same size, do them buffalo wing style, cook them up throw some hot sauce on them and eat them like buffalo wings..........there a ton of ways to cook em.

for cleaning i do it the same way as deerslayer. make an cut in the middle of he back and stick ur fingers in there and pull in opposite directions till u get to the tail at that end and the head at the otehrs, cut off the tail and feel and head and feet and gutthem after that....it takes like 5 minutes to do once u get used to it....goodluck