Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Patterning Coyotes?

Old 10-03-2002, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Patterning Coyotes?

I know most Coyote hunters go into an area and set up to call any Coyote in the area into range, but what do you do if there is a particular Coyote you have in mind? There is a "Black" Coyote in the area here (Most likely a Coy-Dog) that has been around for a little over two years, I saw him a couple of nights ago while on a deer stand with my bow. He walked by a few yards further out than I was comfortable with for a shot so I let him walk on. In the experience of those that hunt them a lot, how often do Coyotes "patrol" their territories and how large are the territories in general? If I see him again, I'll take a shot if he is in range, but I would prefer to wait a couple of months until his pelt is prime to hunt him seriously, he should make a great mount or rug. Thanks for any advice.

Jim

Coastie
"Count the day lost whose low, descending sun
is not, in part, obscured by powder from my gun,"
(Anon)
Old 10-03-2002, 05:03 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-03-2002, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Patterning Coyotes?

patterning coyotes can be a diffacult thing to do.if he's a loaner,forget it.he can be any where at any time.the fact that you have seen him/her more then once indacates that it lives in the area and is part of a pack.here in the northeast there ranges seem to be smaller then out west(more food in a smaller area i guess)from my observations it takes them 2 to 4 days to circle there range.this of caurse is not set in stone,things change and this changes how long it takes them to cover the area.be patient,if he does live in the area you will run into him again.also, just becouse he's all black does not mean its a coy dog.i have seen many black and many other odd ball colors on coyotes and these ones are full blooded eastern coyotes.but then again if it is a coy dog,KILL IT!!!!take it out of the jean pool.

Edited by - coyoteseeker on 10/03/2002 20:21:43
Old 10-04-2002, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep my eyes open for now and start to seriously hunt him in a couple of months. The Coyote population in the area is starting to get prety large. I've seen two killed on the road in the past six weeks, that's more (roadkill) than I've seen in the past five years. My neighbor (a GW) killed one in July with his pistol, it was chasing a hen Turkey down a trail straight toward him and this only a couple of miles behind the house.

Coastie
"Count the day lost whose low, descending sun
is not, in part, obscured by powder from my gun,"
(Anon)
Old 10-04-2002, 03:55 PM

Could take as much as a couple weeks to cover their territory. There's a really good chance it is a melanistic coyote rather than coy-dog. About the only time a coyote will cross with a dog is if their numbers are really low.