Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyote hunting ?

Old 10-01-2002, 01:56 PM

Default coyote hunting ?

I have never hunted coyotes before except to put down one that was injured or sick, but I now feel the need to start hunting them since the population in my area has gone out of control. What I was wondering was how long you call for when you are hunting, and also what the best time of day is to hunt them.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: coyote hunting ?

successfull coyote huntin is not somthing you just go out and do.it takes time to master,just like deer hunting or any other king of hunting does.as far as lenght of time at a stand,its generaly from 15 to 30 min somtimes longer if the situation warrents it.best time of day is accualy at night,thats when there most active but first light and last light are good times.during winter months when the snow is deep and the temps are cold they can be hunted all day long.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:10 PM

Of the times that I have headed out for coyotes, more than naught we get skunked on the stands. I am thinking the cause of this came from the lack of patience of sitting at the stand. I took all of the comments about the 15-30 at the stands. Well I started adding 15 to 30 minutes more to get mister coyotes to come in. Whether I am hunting in coyote smart areas, or just areas that are fresh as one would hope for coyotes. Some times a little more time is the ticket to get the dog/dogs to come in.
Best of luck, if you don't seem to enjoy going after the coyotes send them on down this way. No hard feelings if you do.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing you can try to speed up the action, is put more excitement in your calling, if you're using electronics to call, kinda hard to do, but if you're using hand calls, blow harder, quicker, and longer, and try to shiver the call, think of a rabbit being shook about, how he would sound. Also, it may take 15-30 minutes for 'em to show, but it could only take 30 seconds too, so be ready as soon as you start, don't be calling then trying to get better situated or figuting(SP). Once you start calling, move as little as possible, if they catch ya moving, game is up! Good Luck!