Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
How to skin a rabbit and get the meat? >

How to skin a rabbit and get the meat?

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How to skin a rabbit and get the meat?

Old 09-25-2002, 05:44 PM

Default How to skin a rabbit and get the meat?

If anyone knows how to skin and get the meat off a rabbit please write back, its my first time going out.
Old 09-25-2002, 06:36 PM

Default RE: How to skin a rabbit and get the meat?

a rabbits shin is very tender,so you can hold them by the back feet,pinch the skin close to the feet and pull.some times it comes off in large pieces other time small.just keep pulling till you get it all off.lay him on his back,slide your knife into the tissue in front of the back legs and split the cavity open and clean out.cut off head and feet.cut into small portions like a chicken.

if it is small and young,cook just like chicken.flour and fry.if old,par-broil till tender then fry and make gravy over it.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:24 AM

If i were you i'd get a mate to show you exactly how it's done....it is a skill that is very hard to teach online!!!!!!!....but once somebody shows you slowly then it's like riding a bike......should end up taking you about 5mins per rabbit to skin, gut and wash.....which is necessary when you've got 20 or more to do before it gets too dark!!!!! just incase you can't find someone to show you then try and work out how to apply these techniques:

http://airgunbbs.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s...138&m=72060158

remember to let the carcass sit in the FRIDGE for 24hrs after it's cleaned, then i usually soak in salty water for 3hrs before draining and wrapping them up for the freezer.

Edited by - turbow on 09/26/2002 08:34:41
Old 09-26-2002, 08:08 AM

The way I clean a rabbit is to grab the back legs step on the head and pull the head off. Now pinch the skin up in the middle of the back and pull both ways (toward the neck and toward the hind feet). Now when you havve all the skin off I slip the knife under the ribs by the sternum and cut to the neck. Then swing the rabbit by the back legs and most guts will go flying. Now it is just a matter of pulling the lungs and cutting through the pelvic bone with the knife and cleaning the last piece of gut out of that area. Put it in a bag until you are home and can wash it. I usually soak it in clean water for an hour or so and then either go to the fridge or freezer. Roll pieces in flour and seasoning and fry them up. Yummmmmm yum!!!!
Old 09-26-2002, 10:09 AM

MMMMMM...fried rabbit n gravy...MMMMMMM