Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

how to skin and prepare a rabbit?

Old 01-19-2009, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default how to skin and prepare a rabbit?

im going rabbit hunting in a few minutes and i wanted to know how do you skin and prepare a rabbit? to eat? and to keep the skin?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: how to skin and prepare a rabbit?

I always field dress right after I shoot them. Just hold by hind legs and with other hand grab at the belly close to the hind legs and tear poking your finger through the skin and belly meat and pull all innards out and rinse. I hang up with baler twine by their hind legs. I then just pull the fur right off starting right below the string and peel down to neck and cut off tail close to the body. Then cut off the front feet and front legs cutting along the body, behind the shoulder blades. Next cut about where the rib cage ends and the back meat startson both sides of spine, snap and seperate, now you should have the hide attached to the head and rib cage in your hand, discard. Now I cut right where the hind legs meet the back, same as your last cut at the ribs, giving you the back piece. Then split the crotch taking out the crap tube and cut off male part if present. Cut between the hind legs then snap them apart and cut remaining meat attaching them. Finally cut where you started skinning, snap the bone and cut the foot off. It takes me maybe 3-5 minutes a rabbit. Can't help you with the hide it just tears easy and I never saved it. Hope this all makes sense to you,It's alot easier to watch someone do it.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:51 PM

WOW mossberg come on man what kind of question is that. LOL
Old 01-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Zrabfan26

I always field dress right after I shoot them. Just hold by hind legs and with other hand grab at the belly close to the hind legs and tear poking your finger through the skin and belly meat and pull all innards out and rinse. I hang up with baler twine by their hind legs. I then just pull the fur right off starting right below the string and peel down to neck and cut off tail close to the body. Then cut off the front feet and front legs cutting along the body, behind the shoulder blades. Next cut about where the rib cage ends and the back meat startson both sides of spine, snap and seperate, now you should have the hide attached to the head and rib cage in your hand, discard. Now I cut right where the hind legs meet the back, same as your last cut at the ribs, giving you the back piece. Then split the crotch taking out the crap tube and cut off male part if present. Cut between the hind legs then snap them apart and cut remaining meat attaching them. Finally cut where you started skinning, snap the bone and cut the foot off. It takes me maybe 3-5 minutes a rabbit. Can't help you with the hide it just tears easy and I never saved it. Hope this all makes sense to you,It's alot easier to watch someone do it.
are there any videos on it?

jome i dont wan tto mess it up
Old 01-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

I figured it could be hard to follow if you never did it. I don't know of any videos. You'd have to watch someone do it, its actually quite simple. You can experiment and get better, you wont ruinit, maybe just a little sloppier than wanted. As long as you remove innards, fur,fat and shotup meat it will still eat good.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Forgot to ask if you got any?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Zrabfan26

Forgot to ask if you got any?
nope[:@] missed a few. after the fact i found out that i had in my improved cylinder choke which is only good at 15-20 yards and the rabbits i was missing were at 30+ im going to go again soon and ill let you know how it goes.
so basically do it like you do a deer?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 PM

O moss you will do fine regardless of what you do.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jome1

O moss you will do fine regardless of what you do.
haha thank you