Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

First time coyote calling....

Old 08-08-2005, 01:19 AM

Default First time coyote calling....

This fall and winter coming up I'm going to be doing some coyote hunting and I was wondering how would be the best way to call. I was thinking of setting up some bait and calling with my coyote call, and using my 243 with a barnesX load.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First time coyote calling....

generally, calling and baiting are done at different times for different reasons. Baiting is not a part of calling, as it is for trapping. For bait to work, it needs to be available at all times for an unlimited amount of time. Calling is "bait" for the ears of the coyote, if a coyote doesn't respond within 30 minutes, it's time to move to a new location, and try again.You need to be able to set up in an area where there are coyotes, and make them show themselves before they smell you. If they smell you before you see them, then you won't see them. If you're thinking about using a cover scent, don't waste your time. Learn how to set up in a way that makes the coyote move into a clearing, that is down wind of you, and at that point is where you need to shoot it, before it crosses your scent cone. Don't under estimate the nose of a coyote, it's much better than a deer and the coyote won't stand around wondering what or where you are!
Your .243 loaded with your choice of ammo. will do just fine!
Old 08-08-2005, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the help, I was also goiung to look for some good books to read on coyote hunting because when ever we shoot coyotes we are usually just deer hunting and we will see them and so tehn we shoot not really into it a whole lot but this year I want to do more of it.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once you call in the first one, you'll be hooked. The action is addicting.
Calling them really isn't that hard, but it's easy to mess up the killing part. If you live in the east part of the country, there is a long thread on predatormasters in the "calling the east" forum that will get you a lot of good tips.A bunch of guys there are successful predators callers and can answer your questions. Calling in the east is a bit different than it is out west. So ya might take a look over there.
Good Luck!