Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

squirrel tails

Old 07-28-2005, 05:07 PM

Default squirrel tails

Well today I killed my first squirrel. I'm quite new to hunting stuff so I dont know much about what to do with it. After I killed it I just cut off it's tail and brought it home with me.I just finished washing it off under warm water and it's siting outside to dry. But my dad says that I have to do stuff to the tail to preserve it so it doesnt rot. If someone could direct me to a link on what I'm suposed to do with it or if someone could just tell me that would be great.

P.S if this is in the wrong section can a mod or admin please move it?

THX

Erik
Old 07-28-2005, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: squirrel tails

it would probably be best too take the bone out of the tail and salt the inside. otherwise it'll start to stink very badly and rot.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:00 PM

Ok, but how do I do that.does the bone just kinda slide out?...and after I get the bone out....do I just soak it in salt water for a while?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can take a sharp knife and split the skin near the end and cut it up to the end of the bone. then you can rub salt on it. put a good bit of salt. keep adding salt to it and leave it in a dry place outside in an area where bugs can't get to it. then after it dries out wash out any excess salt and that should do it.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:55 AM

first off. don't just kill them for the tail,when you kill one,slip the tail off the bone and it will dry ok. then take the squrrel and cook it and eat it.

when you skin a squirrel,take two nails,or anything like that,put one on each side of the bone,lay in you hand with the tail between you fingers,hold tight and pull toward the tip of the tail and the bone will slip right out.real easy once you try it a few times.

always eat what you shoot.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:12 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

first off. don't just kill them for the tail,when you kill one,slip the tail off the bone and it will dry ok. then take the squrrel and cook it and eat it.

when you skin a squirrel,take two nails,or anything like that,put one on each side of the bone,lay in you hand with the tail between you fingers,hold tight and pull toward the tip of the tail and the bone will slip right out.real easy once you try it a few times.

always eat what you shoot.
I ain't eatin' no 'yotes ...
Old 08-02-2005, 08:39 AM

I ain't eatin' no 'yotes ...
10-4 yotes are varments, squirrels aren't ; they are food animals.just trying to get a new hunter off on the right foot.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:34 PM

I dont know anything about getting the bone out of the tail (didn't even know you could) but from my experience a plain old squirrel tail with the bone won't rot. and i've kept many a squirrel tail. otherwise if your not interested in keepin it, you can sell to a fish lure company like mepps or something cuz they make lures out of squirrel tails. usually a single tail will go for about $0.15

and like treeclimber said, you can eat squirrels and most other animals you shoot.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

when you skin the squirrell just take the whole skin in hand and carfull try and pull the tail off the bone, most of the time it will slip off but sometimes it does brake at the end.