Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Groundhog Hunting

Old 07-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Groundhog Hunting

I have been groundhog hunting a couple of times this year (17 so far, Whoo Hoo) and I have a couple of questions for you. I'm going down to my grandma's farm on Monday-Thursday so I will be able to hunt them a lot and I want to maximize my efforts.

First off, when are the best times to go hunting? I usually go from like 5:00 pm -8:30 pm...and sometimes in the late morning (ie. like 8-10) I was wondering, more for the morning if I am getting out too late? Too early? Or just right?

My second question is, how much does on average groundhog weigh? Just a round about number will be fine. Thanks in advance.

Also what is the best way to get a groundhog to stand up? The hay fields are getting taller and the groundhogs are harder to see unless they stand up. At one time someone told me to wistle at them (one problem, I CAN"T WISTLE) so is there any other technique I can use to get them to stand up. I was thinking of taking a wistle with me and blowing it lightly to get them to stand up...Would this work, or just scare them away?
Old 07-16-2005, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Groundhog Hunting

i always head out about 6 and sit till about dusk this time of year once dusk sets in they dont seem to come out much. When it is overcast they seem to be out all day though. Ive never gone for them in the morning i enjoy sleeping in haha. I'd guess to say a average groundhog weighs between 4-7lbs just my guess.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:49 PM

I've hunted them from daybreak through till dark and all hours in-between. They are active at night in the towns near here. Anytime is a good time; especially just after a rain. As far as a whistle, I would just wait for them to stand-up on their own, but give it a try. If it scares them away just quit using it LOL.

A small young groundhog here in VA would weigh about 4-7 lbs., but I guess the biggest I've killed would push 12-15 lbs. about the size of a good coon.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

groundhogs are out of their holes sometimes around 9-1 around my area but most of my ghog hunting happens around 6-dusk because almost all of them are active at that time of day
i would say the average sized groundhog weighs 6-7 pounds but i have shot one or two in the 14-15 pound range
one thing i have found that worksto get them to stand upis using a small piece of plastic bag or a piece of a skittles wrapper and pulling it tight with your finger and blowing on the edge creating a high pitched whistle this has worked when i have used it.

good luck on your ghog hunting
Old 08-14-2005, 04:20 AM

The good thing about ground hogs is that you can hunt them when you see them. You can look out the window a few times a day and if you see some, just go out and shoot them lol. And if you can't get them to stand up, just shoot whatever fur you can see. They are small so even what seems like a minimally damaging shot from a rifle usually does them in. Even if they don't die right away they will die eventually. I know that they dig a lot of holes at my Uncle's farm, that his cows can break a leg in, so even if I can only wing 'em I take the shot. If you can't whistle maybe you could make kissy noises (yeah I know that sounds gay). That will work too.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got one of those rubbermouse squeaker bulbs for predator hunting, and I take it with me to hunt hogs.

A quick squeak usuallymakes the hogs pop up to look around. Nothin' much better than watchinga big hog stand up into the crosshairs at 32x with a rock solid hold onhislittle hoggy dome. . . makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

It's also fun to squeak while you wait, b/c you might get a coyote or fox to respond. Squeaky bulbs cost about 5 bucks at your local sportshop.

Good luck with those hogs. Take no prisoners.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys....I think I'll just make random weird noises and see if I can get them to stand up or I'll just wait fro them to do it on their own.

Just an update: Last time I went out I got my longest shot ever on one...it was a 200 yarder and I hit him square in the head. I was using my deer hunting rifle, Rem. Model 7 SS in .308. It did a pretty good number on him.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:56 PM

I live on a 1200+ acre farm, and ive never gone out and straight groundhog hunted partly cause my uncil and grandfather made them all but extinct but i keep a savage model 110 223. behind the seat of my dodge while im tooling around the farmground or checking cattle. groundhogs are more of a neusance around these parts so if you cant get him to stand up its ok to go for a hind quarter shot or what ever he'll give you- if you can see flesh pull the trigger.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:13 PM

hey to get them to stand up just yell out at them but when they stand up hurry they run off fast after that