Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 groundhog hunting saturday >

groundhog hunting saturday

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

groundhog hunting saturday

Old 06-08-2008, 02:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default groundhog hunting saturday

Took my knight out ground hog hunting, hit the front screw that attects to the base. it almost came off. tighted it back down. went to pull the plunger back, it would not set. went back in and cleaned the trigger group, sprayed rem oil. went back out. spot an ground hog. walk 10 yrds infront of me (I missed by amost an inch). and just looked back and forth and went on it's marry way. funker would not stand up for me. did not bring anyother loads but the one I had in the gun. went in cleaned my knight grabbed my 22. headed back out. shot and kill 1 that I am 100% sure of 10yrds. I think shot two more, one, I heard it hit but still ran off (not solid enough) 15 yrds. the other I know I hit and rolled in to thick brush (I was wearing shorts) 13yrds.
heard thunder so I headed it. been about 300 or round since I cleaned my 22. cleaned it and checked the rings. bought cheap rings for it. damn things are stripped [:@]. good thing I have 2 extra sets I can put on it.

I think next time I got ground hog hunting I am going to take my 9mm or try to find a place farther back.

I have deer cross 25yrd in front of me in the same area.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: groundhog hunting saturday

cory-
try whistling to make the ground hog stand up, they're not called whistle pigs for nothin. real soft low whistle and they'll usually stand up. I was told thatfemales and young stand cuzthey whistle tocommunicate and a male will stand cuz he'll kill any other male young in the area. don't no for certain if it's true, but I know it works. I used to shoot a lot of hogs in high school with a sweet little ruger 77/22 hornet and 35 grain v-max that left a bloody mess on head shots and were equally deadly on body shots, but not as impressive.

good luck.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll give it a try once this heat wave breaks. 113 degree heat index,
Old 06-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

I'm in virginia too, otherside of the mountain outside of charlottesville. Our central air was messed up and we havea 2 month old. Thankfully a guy was able to come fix it yesterday for us. The baby is much better today and so are my wife and I. When you whistle be ready they'll stand up and look around and if they don't see another hog they're back down.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Dominant Buck

WOW!! those are not my kind of temperatures.. It was 72 degrees here. I was out mowing the lawn with a long sleeve shirt on. Other wise the skeeters will come and eat you where you stand.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

You are right Dave I walked out on the creek side of the house the other day when the mosquito's were done and put me down I was a 100yds in the field and lost a pint of blood. Have to tak a 410 to protect my self from them big things next time[:@]