Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

First Time

Old 07-03-2005, 10:14 PM

Default First Time

Hey,
Today I took my little Rat Terrier for a walk down my country road,just before dark.Man down here is Texas it is HOT HOT HOT. Man we sure need some rain.
I've shot pistols for 29 years,at cans and targets,but never shot at any animals.But today a small rabbit jumped out of the woods about 30 yds away.
I told my Rat Terrier to sit and then I drew my old Ruger Security Six 357 and fired one shot hitting the rabbit in the neck.
Man I think I'm hooked on this hand gun hunting.
I know I just shot a rabbit not a big buck but I'm hooked now.
I know I'll get a 44 Mag for deer hunting now.
But like my other post in the other places ,Which pistol should I get in the Ruger?
Old 07-04-2005, 12:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: First Time

Ruger KSRH-7
Old 07-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a personal preference for the Ruger Super Blackhawk; it treats me well anywhere from the 44 special to 300 grain magnum loads. The curved grip of the single action serves as a built in recoil reducer. I put a trigger kit in mine and it is a keeper. I haven't tried a Bisley model but check them to see how they feel. 357 is already legal for deer in some states. I'm wondering how your terrier handles the noise?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:55 AM

Hey,
I had Lucy my Rat Terrier on a short leash when I shot the .357 Mag.
Lucy didn't try to run off, I didn't feel her pull on the leash after I shot the rabbit.
I thinkLucy didn't know whathad happen, Lucy just saton the road,next to my leg.Maybe thinking man that stick in in hand sure makes a big noise.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:23 PM

I would of let my Rat Terrier go after it when she was younger. She used to be able to catch a rabbit once in a while, she sure loved the chase even if she didn't get it. Now, she is getting old and she is not near fast enough to catch a full grown rabbit, but she still tries.