Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Duck trapping question

Old 06-09-2005, 07:59 AM

Default RE: Duck trapping question

Are you looking to trap 2 or 3 birds or 100"s
Old 06-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah the funnel idea does sound great, looks like I posted in the right forum. I have mabe 35 ducks (less than the owls take) but I dont have to catch them all at once. I have used a #1 muskrat trap with corn glued to the pan. Works well but i lose them and alot of the corn too. Thanks for the great ideas, keep them comming.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:06 AM

If you need to catch 1 or 2 at a time I like the 22 idea.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:15 AM

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

Asfar as I know it is illegal, all waterfowl are federally protected game birds and can only be taken during prescribed seasons with prescribed methods and asfar as methods go the only one listed for waterfowl is by shotgun with non toxic shot pellet.

Here in California, we have an archery and falconry season too...

(a) Authorized Methods. Only the following methods may be used to take migratory game birds:

(1) Falconry.

(2) Bow and Arrows or Crossbows. Only arrows or crossbows bolts with flu- flu fletching may be used except that conventionally fletched arrows may be used to take waterfowl sitting on the water from scullboats or similar watercraft. Archers hunting during any archery season may not possess a firearm while in the field engaged in archery hunting.

(3) Muzzle-loading Shotguns.

(4) Shotguns 10 Gauge or Smaller. Shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined may be used. except no shotgun larger than 12 gauge shall be used in areas open to hunting on, over or adjacent to the waters of Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo County. If a plug is used to reduce the capacity of a magazine to fulfill the requirements of this section, the plug must be of one piece construction incapable of removal without disassembling the gun. Shotgun shells may not be used or possessed that contain shot size larger than No. BB in lead or T shot in steel or other nontoxic shot approved by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. All shot shall be loose in the shell.