Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 .308 bullets for predators & varmints >

.308 bullets for predators & varmints

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.308 bullets for predators & varmints

Old 06-08-2005, 08:49 PM

Default .308 bullets for predators & varmints

Has anybody experimented with some of the lighter .308 bullets for predator and varmint hunting? A few that come to mind are the following.

Sierra 110gr varminter HP
Hornady 110gr V-Max
Speer 125 gr TNT
Nosler 125gr Ballistic tip
Old 06-08-2005, 09:46 PM

Default RE: .308 bullets for predators & varmints

All of those will work, but if you're going for the fur, you'd better shoot them all in the head. All of those slug will leave a nasty hole in the other side. If just to bring the population into check, take whatever's cheapest and have fun.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im gonna try to get drawn for a mountain lion hunt this year, In the mean time im working up a load for my 30-30 using the Sierra 110gr varminter HP which i plan to use for the mountain lion hunt if get drawn.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

I used a 110 grain ballistic tip on a coyote once. That was a mess but it did the trick. Slammed the yote to the ground and he didn't move.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

I loaded some 110gr Hornady SP in my 06 once. I think they were moving abou 3500 fps. I was getting about 2" groups at 100 yards. If you can't get decent groups out of the 110s you may have to go to a 130gr or 150gr.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:12 AM

Wolf, I've never hunted cougar before, but I'm sure they're probably pretty tough. With that in mind, would you think that a Nosler partitioned slug would do a better job? Or a slug that's been bonded?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

HDW - You have to apply for mountain lions down there? Weird, over the counter up here, season open all year

Back on the subject - I would bet that those bullets you listed would work just fine. I, however, would opt to use a 110, 125, 147 or 155 gr FMJ for varmints in a .308" bore. I will probably get scolded again for it, just like the last time I mentioned using FMJ's, but oh well. I think the hollow point bullets will make too much of a mess, but the FMJ's would be better if wanting to save the hides. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ks_Sniper

Wolf, I've never hunted cougar before, but I'm sure they're probably pretty tough. With that in mind, would you think that a Nosler partitioned slug would do a better job? Or a slug that's been bonded?

Most of the guys hunting cougars around here are using 17 remington, 22-250, 6mm's etc mostly varmint calibers. Doesnt take alot to kill a cougar. They are soft tissued thin skinned critters doesnt take much to get a pass through. Most folks use varmint calibers to hopefully not destroy the hides. I figured I couldnt go wrong using a 30 cal varmint bullet just a little extra smack since it will be my first time and i dont know what to expect. Hopefully the 110 grain speer doesnt do a whole lot of damage to the hide.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: charlie brown

HDW - You have to apply for mountain lions down there? Weird, over the counter up here, season open all year

Back on the subject - I would bet that those bullets you listed would work just fine. I, however, would opt to use a 110, 125, 147 or 155 gr FMJ for varmints in a .308" bore. I will probably get scolded again for it, just like the last time I mentioned using FMJ's, but oh well. I think the hollow point bullets will make too much of a mess, but the FMJ's would be better if wanting to save the hides. Good luck.

charlie once again i have your back on using FMJ's, ive used American eagle 150 grain fmj factory loads on yotes out of my 308. They do the trick with very minimal pelt damage.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heck HDW - I have some 165 grain lead bullets loaded in my .30-06 for cats!! Those guys are putting along at about 1400 fps, which should work just fine without doing much damage at all (If I ever actually get to get behind some hounds, lol). I was even thinking of loading up some 150, 165, 180, or even 220 RN Hornady's at lower velocities to work on cats. I am not sure completely yet. I am still working on a decent load in my other .30-06 with Partitions for deer hunting, and trying to find a load for my Yugo Mauser (which I must add is coming along quite well actually!).

Quick Reply: .308 bullets for predators & varmints

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.