Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
sight options for a Marlin 336 >

sight options for a Marlin 336

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

sight options for a Marlin 336

Old 05-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default sight options for a Marlin 336

I have a 336 that I love, but I can't hit the broad side with the factory buckhorns. Unfortunately I cant make my mind up what to do about that. My main use for the gun is as a late antlerless deer gun and as a general purpose camp gun. I am really torn between

1) a set of skinner peep sights (finding the right hight front sight doesn't sound too fun)

2) a low power (2x-4x) traditionally mounted scope

3) a red dot mounted in a scout setup

or..

4) a 2x-4x handgun scout scope

What do you guys think?

Last edited by josh...just josh; 05-13-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Banned

i used the Truglo sights on mine from cabelas.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shop around on the forums until you find a good deal on a used one of these. Probably the best bang for the buck there is out there for a top quality peep sight. You can get different apertures if you like, or just screw the aperture out and you have a ghost ring sight. Take your time and you will find one, I see them all the time.

Avoid the fiber optic stuff. Too much plastic for me. I have seen far too many of them break in the field. Tom.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

Got a xs ghost ring rear and front post on mine. Very nice durable sight but takes a bit of practice to get comfortable with it for more than 50 yds distance as the front post is rather blunt.( have a williams 5d and finer front post on another lever that is more accurate but not as durable and was a pain in the a** to get proper height on the front post)Other problem with it and all iron sights is their lack of low light capability. I will only use this setup for drives and daytime still hunting as you lose almost a 1/2 hour of shooting on both ends with iron sights and are severely limited for at least another 1/2 hour on each end for anything more than 50 yds away. Ain't nothing like a scope for dusk and dawn shooting. Similar problem with red dots but at least the good ones have very dim settings for low light. Hope it helps.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just got a Burris FastFire II on my win 94. It should be the bugs nutz. Much easier than using the "irons".
Old 06-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I've gone full circle with this one..Certainly the factory sites are too dark for a morning or evening shot..Then I lost a buck of a lifetime in a thick swamp..too fast to put the glass on him..So I got the 58.00 Tru glo sites from Cabelas..They have mixed reviews..

You will need a small 3 sided file to put the front site on..be careful..many break it..The rear site is like a BB gun site...one screw hold the plastic on..It took me over 30 minutes to put them on my 336 Marlin..back site is easy..fropnt site is a pain..They are nice though...I went back and put my scope back on with see through rings..My 336 puts groups in the red at 100 yds using Winchester Hollow points..the tru glo sites are not bad either..about 3 inch groups..you will need very good fine motor skills to put the front site on..it presses on and must be filed to precession..be very carefull they are only plastic

Also..your rear site will need to be raised all the way up to zero in the bulls eye..over all rating of this site from 1 - 5 star...3 star
negatives...weak site..adjustment stinks..be careful pulling gun up the tree
positive..it does glo in low lighting..

Last edited by Chuck7; 06-05-2010 at 04:24 PM.