Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes >

Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes

Old 02-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nightforce scopes are made here in Orofino Idaho but they do not make there own glass they purchase it from the same company that Bushnell does for the Elite 4200, 6500, and the Elite HDMR. I personally own 2 4200's, a 6500, and a Nightforce, opticaly there is no difference, dont beleive me go to a store that carries both and look at it for yourself.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Back to the original question, I have not used 10 different scopes. I started out with a cheap Simmons, and killed deer with it. After chasing a gut shot buck down to finish him off, then learning the scope was like 8 inches to the right and off on elevation, too, I started looking for quality scopes, bases and rings. I settled on Leupold for all, started with the Vx-II. I got to where I could afford VX-III's, so I started buying them. I tend to slip and fall, let my gun slide too fast out of the stand, and generally abuse them. I have never had a problem with the Leupold setup. Maybe I've just been lucky. I could afford more expensive scopes, and have considered them, but I never know which rifle I will decide to take, and it's expensive enough to put Leupolds on all of them. I've never had to send one back, so I don't know about their customer service.
I've never looked through a really expensive scope, but know a mulie at 450 yards in fading light is plenty clear through a VX-III.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got in on this too late to add much for sure ... not that I ever add anything of value anyway ?!? These are rated only on my personal, first hand expereince and in decending order. Over the years have had a bunch of scopes. Mostly on rifles I have bought to resale, trade, give away, etc. Currently I own scopes manufactured by Zeiss, Leupold, Swarovski, Bushnell and Weaver.

Five worst - Nikon Monarch, Tasco World Class , any Simmons, any Barska, and worst of all by a land slide .. any BSA. I put Nikon in this pack because of my extreme dissapointment with two "Monarch" models that I had. For the $$$, the peformance was weak.

Five best - Zeiss VM/V, Swarovski Z6, Swarovski Z3, Zeiss Conquest, Kahles.

As far as value .... of the ones I have ... the two best bang for the buck in my olpinion are the Elite 4200 and the Zeiss Conquest.

As far as flat out performance .... the Zeiss VM/V and Swarovski Z6 .... too close to call.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

wow,i still have a bushnell chiefscope vi 3-9 on my 06 with 1/6 clicks.it works dang good here for elk,but i do want something a little brighter.guess im waaaay behind
Old 04-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fritz1
Nightforce scopes are made here in Orofino Idaho but they do not make there own glass they purchase it from the same company that Bushnell does for the Elite 4200, 6500, and the Elite HDMR. I personally own 2 4200's, a 6500, and a Nightforce, opticaly there is no difference, dont beleive me go to a store that carries both and look at it for yourself.

but night force sounds expensive so it must be good.hehehehe
Old 04-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a BSA on my .270 WSM and it does its best during daylight hour shooting,I tried it in the early mornings/late evenings and it was very poor and hazy in my opinion...it was on the gun and I pan on replacing it one day.

Years ago I used the Tasco,Redfields and Bushnell Scopes,and as mentioned they weren't the best quality scopes out there.I have been using a old Bushnell Sportsview 3X9X40mm scope on my Remington model 742 30-06 and it has done a good job over the years.

All my new Rifles sport the Leupold Rifleman 3X9X40mm matte black scope using Millet rings...I love the quality of the scope,it is nice and clear in the low-light conditions of the early mornings and late evenings...and I can afford it!

So far they have cost around $225.00 but I have caught them on sale for around $169.99 to $189.00 and even got a few free scope coats at a $24.95 value.

I have the Rifleman Scope on my CZ-USA .204 Rifle,my Browning A-Bolt Hunter .243 bolt-action Rifle and my Savage Model 11 GCNS wood stock,bolt-action 7mm-08.

I'd love to buy one of the higher-end Scopes out there on the Market but I can't justify spending more money on a scope than the Gun/Rifle itself....but thats just me!
Old 04-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Spike

Default Top 5

it depends what exactly your looking for...

Check these out
Nikon http://amzn.to/InBEYp

Leupold http://amzn.to/Jmxvos

Barska http://amzn.to/IQbgF7

Simmons http://amzn.to/JEdb1l

these scopes, i think are great, but like i said it depends
Old 04-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

OP hasn't responded to this post or for that matter posted in years.

best : BSA
worst : Nikko
Old 04-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Best and/or worst for the money is a far better question ?!?

I use Burris at the "Signature Select" level - best IMO for MY money.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I want to tell you guys something, I personally own more scopes than you. I have every scope that has ever been made. I have each scope made on every rifle that is made. That makes me the ultimate authority on which is the best scope! WTF??

Lots of blowhards in this thread.

I like Leupold, Burris and Nikon. Those are the best for reasonable money in my book.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.