Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes >

Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes

Old 09-22-2010, 06:57 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by jdhogg
the way i decide on a scope is what looks clear and crisp to my eye,ive spent years in the gunners seat in various tanks looking through long range scopes but i just find what works for my eyes and go with them.you are very correct on what the eye and brain percieves as good.my problem as i get older is parallax,i also agree about optics companies telling us what we want to hear.to me the vx3 is great but cant afford them,my vortex works very well for me but thats me.i really like bushnell but am a stickler for a good warrenty and have had some bad luck.i still use an old chiefscope v and works good for me.thanks for the info.
By the way, parallax is part of a scope design. Has nothing do do with old or new eyes. Parallax is the recticles relative movement respect to the target with head/eye placement on the scope.

I think you are referring to a thing called, resolution. Which is directly a product of objective lense.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

nothing like finding out someone has bullet launcher pointed your way,kinda just makes me mad too.i never could use the old stereo type range finders,just way too much parallax for my eyes.the old military optics really sucked bad but with todays technology its alot more precise and not so much hope and pray.you ever look through the big navy ship binos?what i wouldnt give for some to use as a spotting scope but then they weigh close to 150 lbs
Old 09-22-2010, 07:05 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by jdhogg
nothing like finding out someone has bullet launcher pointed your way,kinda just makes me mad too.i never could use the old stereo type range finders,just way too much parallax for my eyes.the old military optics really sucked bad but with todays technology its alot more precise and not so much hope and pray.you ever look through the big navy ship binos?what i wouldnt give for some to use as a spotting scope but then they weigh close to 150 lbs
I am not you are understanding what parallax is. But its all good.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Top 5?

Schmitt and Bender (if you want to re-finance your home,I don't)
Zeiss
Leuopld VX-III
?
?
Old 09-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Typical Buck

Best IMHO no particular order...

Schmdit & Bender
Zeiss/Hensoldt
US Optics
Swarovski
Nightforce
Leupold Mk IV

Fixing to pull the trigger on a US Optics SN-3 T PAL 3.2x17 for a new build.

Worst in no particular order.

Anything that comes in a blister pack including but not limited to....
Simmons
Barska
NC Star
etc.

Last edited by doubleA; 09-25-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Banned

I'm sorry here but you people do not know what you are talking about.

Parallax is the difference between where you are looking and where the actual bullet is pointed towards. Parallax also affects optical instruments such as binoculars, microscopes, and twin-lens reflex cameras that view objects from slightly different angles. Many animals, including humans, have two eyes with overlapping visual fields to use parallax to gain depth perception; this process is known as stereopsis.
A simple everyday example of parallax can be seen in the dashboard of motor vehicles that use a "needle" type speedometer gauge (when the needle is mounted in front of its dial scale in a way that leaves a noticeable spacing between them). When viewed from directly in front, the speed may show 60 (i.e. the needle appears against the '60' mark on the dial behind); but when viewed from the passenger seat (i.e. from an oblique angle) the needle can appear against a slightly lower or higher mark (depending on whether it is viewed from the left or from the right), because of the combined effect of the spacing and the angle of view.

As the eyes of humans and other animals are in different positions on the head, they present different views simultaneously. This is the basis of stereopsis, the process by which the brain exploits the parallax due to the different views from the eye to gain depth perception and estimate distances to objects
Old 09-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Banned

A very poor scope was most of the first Tasco scopes that were made in the late 70's - early 80's.

Another was the Bushnell Buck Horn.

Another is the Leupold Rifleman.

Most of those cheap scopes that does everything from light your cigarette to range find that are sold in catalogs such as Hunters Warehouse is total crap also.

Don't forget the old Cats Eyes scope either! BSA - crap!
Old 09-29-2010, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

5 Best Hunting scope mfg.

Schmidt & Bender
Zeiss
Leica
Swarovski/Khales
Nightforce

Best bank for the buck
Nikon
Meopta
Minox

I'm happy with 1 deer rifle under a S&B, others would rather have 6 deer rifles with mediocre optics.

Different strokes for different folks.............
Old 10-02-2010, 08:45 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
I'm sorry here but you people do not know what you are talking about.

Parallax is the difference between where you are looking and where the actual bullet is pointed towards. Parallax also affects optical instruments such as binoculars, microscopes, and twin-lens reflex cameras that view objects from slightly different angles. Many animals, including humans, have two eyes with overlapping visual fields to use parallax to gain depth perception; this process is known as stereopsis.
A simple everyday example of parallax can be seen in the dashboard of motor vehicles that use a "needle" type speedometer gauge (when the needle is mounted in front of its dial scale in a way that leaves a noticeable spacing between them). When viewed from directly in front, the speed may show 60 (i.e. the needle appears against the '60' mark on the dial behind); but when viewed from the passenger seat (i.e. from an oblique angle) the needle can appear against a slightly lower or higher mark (depending on whether it is viewed from the left or from the right), because of the combined effect of the spacing and the angle of view.

As the eyes of humans and other animals are in different positions on the head, they present different views simultaneously. This is the basis of stereopsis, the process by which the brain exploits the parallax due to the different views from the eye to gain depth perception and estimate distances to objects
Wow, thats pretty cool, a direct cut and paste from wikipedia. Your so smart.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ROTFLMAO..thanks BC, too funny.

Best 5
S&B
Swarovski
Zeiss
Premier
Nightforce

Worst 5
Tasco
BSA
Simmons
Low end Bushnells
Leupold Rifleman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.