HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/313309-top-5-best-worst-rifle-scopes.html)

huntinyoung 12-24-2009 10:30 AM

Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes

I'm looking to replace one of my rifle scopes and was wondering what everyones top 5 best and top 5 worst rifle scope brands are.

Seneca SS 12-24-2009 11:26 AM

depending on your budget--i would consider a Leupold--very good scope and not real pricey--

Sheridan 12-24-2009 03:39 PM

5 worst ?

Bad luck is one thing, but 5 ?

Is this an IQ test !?!?

halfbakedi420 12-24-2009 03:45 PM

bsa deer hunter rifle scopes keep things interesting...but when ya get bored with all that, get a burris.

bigcountry 12-24-2009 06:58 PM

5 best
Schmitt and Bender
Zeiss
Kahles
Leupold Mark4 (best buy for the money)
Swarovski Z6 (overpriced)

5 worst
Tasco (the worst, anything produced by mead)
Simmons
Pine Ridge
BSA
Burris
Low End Bushnells, (not the Bausch and Lomb Elites)

timbercruiser 12-25-2009 05:58 AM

Budget is the determining question. If you can swing it, a Zeiss Diavari 3x12x56 is going to be hard to beat. The best medium price scope,IMHO, is the Bushnell 4200 Elite. The $100 specials are usually the bottom of the barrel.

bugsNbows 12-25-2009 06:37 AM

Tops in my book are: Swaro Z6, S & B Summit (new model), Zeiss Diavari, U.S. Optics, Premier Heritage Tactical models, and Nightforce NXS. Bottom models include BSA, Barska, ATN, Tasco and any Wally World bubble pack special.

BOWHUNTERCOP 12-25-2009 01:01 PM

dollar for dollar I would say Leupold VX-II, I have them on almost all my shotguns, rifles and muzzleloaders

Big Uncle 12-25-2009 01:14 PM

The best are easy to determine, but only if there are cost limits. Swarovski, Leupold, Zeiss, and several others come to mind.

The ones that I would not buy are:
Simmons
BSA
Burris
Tasco
any lower priced Bushnell

hometheaterman 12-25-2009 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by bigcountry (Post 3538600)
5 best
Schmitt and Bender
Zeiss
Kahles
Leupold Mark4 (best buy for the money)
Swarovski Z6 (overpriced)

5 worst
Tasco (the worst, anything produced by mead)
Simmons
Pine Ridge
BSA
Burris
Low End Bushnells, (not the Bausch and Lomb Elites)

I disagree with this. I love my Burris and it's by far my favorite scope I've had. Leupolds included although I've never had a Mark 4. I've also never had any issues with Simmons scopes although not usually as clear as Burris.

I've had several issues with the Leupold I have as well as 2 other friends I know that have Leupolds whom have also had problems with theirs. Once you send it in they are good about taking care of it but none of them seem to hold up. None of us have had issues with Simmons nor Burris scopes. I've not had issues with Tasco's either but I know some do. No way I'd say they are the worst scopes and especially not Burris.