Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes >

Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes

Old 01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ron Duval
Funny guy. Many Navy guys have a good sense of humor. This is a joke, right?
nope ,you ask for my 5 best and worst,this is the truth.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by falcon
i like fixed power scopes. Beginning a few years ago my cheap scopes were gradually replaced with Zeiss 4X and 6X scopes as well as Leupold FX II 4X and FX III 6X scopes.
X2. For my shooting situations a fixed power scope is a better fit.

I'm a little surprized nobody has mentioned IOR / Valdada scopes. I have 6 x 42mm. Love it.

http://usaoptics.net/iorvaldata8x56.html
Old 07-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Interesting. Ok, for the 400-500 dollars you pay for a burris signature, you could get a Leupold.

Ok, lets separate the field here. Sure, the once a week rifle hunter, will be serviced fine with philp glass on a burris. No doubt. That the same hunter would do the same with a 200 dollar bushnell elite 3200 or even better served.

Why does burris feel the need for a posi-lok? With correct errector design, anybody in optics knows its not needed. And who is the manufacture so stupid to put a posilok on a target scope? I know.

How much errector movement can you get from from your signature (target turret) scope compared to a simular target turrent mounted loopy? I know the difference on comparitive 6.5-X loops and signature. I have had the both.

How far can you move the recticle on a signature before you start getting nonlinear results? I know on both leupolds and burris.

Lastly, I guarantee you, a person with a burris signature can't complete a optics box test and end up back to where they started. But I know for a fact I can on a M4. Or even a Vari-X 6.5-20 target.

wouldnt own a leupold again.had a vx1 and it was like looking into a bucket of mop water.wont spend anymore on their fancy models either.im planning on a vortex diamondback or a nikon buckmaster.and i do hunt more than a few times a year and its not a fancy pampered trip.do you hunt?maybe YOU can afford the fancy stuff,but putting down scopes because of a name or price isnt fair.and frankly i think your opinion sucks come on down to our budget then compare,infact come on to oregon and hunt on my budget,aint no fancy lodges or gun bearers,ya gotta do it yourself

Last edited by jdhogg; 07-15-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Spike

I like my vx3 put it on 5 different rifles and it shows but it works like new,my zeiss is in the box sold the 300 win it sat on have not replaced it yet,I have 3 nikons in use right now and like them a lot,my 6-18 has been on 4 rifles and has fired thosands of rounds works great 3-9 is on my black diamond black powder and works great in the bush in low light,the 3-12 monark is on a 270 700 that works in all conditions and for a 300 yard coyote its sweet. Had a few bsa ,got a sweet 17 in a box right know they a lot of fun to play with but the glass sucks for hunting,never had much luck with any bushnell there arector system is not for me tasco and simone are the same never had much luck with them.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

I've never had trouble with bushnell. Had many the 2 I got now work great ones a older sportview on my 22 and a banner on my 50 cal bp and haven't had no problem in 3 years. I can't afford no 5 or 600 dollar scope reall 200 is tops and I hate puttin that in one. I love my older redfield tracker 3x9 that's on my 270. But my top 5 are nikon burris leupold redfield and vortex. The only bad ones I've used are simmons and tasco never again.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:14 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by jdhogg
wouldnt own a leupold again.had a vx1 and it was like looking into a bucket of mop water.wont spend anymore on their fancy models either.im planning on a vortex diamondback or a nikon buckmaster.and i do hunt more than a few times a year and its not a fancy pampered trip.do you hunt?maybe YOU can afford the fancy stuff,but putting down scopes because of a name or price isnt fair.and frankly i think your opinion sucks come on down to our budget then compare,infact come on to oregon and hunt on my budget,aint no fancy lodges or gun bearers,ya gotta do it yourself
What is a gun bearer?

I am not putting down scopes because of name or price. I specifically gave reasons. You did not.

Anybody that would be dumb enough to buy a Vx1 deserves to get crap. You bought it for name. Didn't you?

For the guy who sets his scope to 100-200 yards and goes out 5 days a year, anything will work, even your POS buckmasters. Even open sights. But if you want to use the target turrets of a scope, you have to count on accurate recticle adjustment.

The original poster didn't ask what is the best for my budget. They didn't ask, what could I get by with in Oregon.

Why do so many people take it so personally? Buy what you want. I am an optics engineer. I appreciate good optics. I appreciate good coatings. If someone was a gun engineer, wouldn't they appreciate top notch machining?

Last edited by bigcountry; 09-20-2010 at 05:22 PM.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

I like my Leupold vari-x lll's.

Aside from those, it is hard to beat those Bushnell elite scopes. For the money, they are damn good.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anybody that would be dumb enough to buy a Vx1 deserves to get crap. You bought it for name. Didn't you?
Any company who sells a $210-300 scope depending on the magnification should put out a quality scope. Not the piece of **** they call the VX-I. Burris doesn't have a problem putting out a great scope in the $2-300 price range, nor does Vortex, nor does Sightron, or Bushnell with their Elite series, and the list goes on. Sorry, but while the VX-I may be one of Leupolds cheaper scope (not the cheapest) there is no excuse to put out crap in that price range. That's also the price range that most people are going to want a scope in, so that's where they really need a good product to show the customers how great of a product they put out. I mean honestly, how many guys do you know with a $500+ scope. I don't know any in person, although I've talked to a few online that claim they do. I know several guys that own $200 scopes, but that's about the limit of what most of them are willing to spend.

Not to mention that when you get into Leupolds upper in line, while they are better, you can still get a lot better scope for the same money from one of the other companies.

I see you mention tracking and how the Leupolds pass a box test better than most other scopes, but it's funny because a lot of the guys that actually put scopes through their paces in this area don't seem to be too fond of Leupold, and often recommend staying away from them. Look over on Snipers Hide and see what the general opinion of Leupold is. Or Optics Talk.

The only people that like Leupold, are the ones that haven't used something better.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:43 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Any company who sells a $210-300 scope depending on the magnification should put out a quality scope. Not the piece of **** they call the VX-I. Burris doesn't have a problem putting out a great scope in the $2-300 price range, nor does Vortex, nor does Sightron, or Bushnell with their Elite series, and the list goes on. Sorry, but while the VX-I may be one of Leupolds cheaper scope (not the cheapest) there is no excuse to put out crap in that price range. That's also the price range that most people are going to want a scope in, so that's where they really need a good product to show the customers how great of a product they put out. I mean honestly, how many guys do you know with a $500+ scope. I don't know any in person, although I've talked to a few online that claim they do. I know several guys that own $200 scopes, but that's about the limit of what most of them are willing to spend.

Not to mention that when you get into Leupolds upper in line, while they are better, you can still get a lot better scope for the same money from one of the other companies.

I see you mention tracking and how the Leupolds pass a box test better than most other scopes, but it's funny because a lot of the guys that actually put scopes through their paces in this area don't seem to be too fond of Leupold, and often recommend staying away from them. Look over on Snipers Hide and see what the general opinion of Leupold is. Or Optics Talk.

The only people that like Leupold, are the ones that haven't used something better.
I own a few Ziess, several bushnell Elites, several leupolds, several nikons. Well over 25 different scopes.

You buy one VX1 for one of your what 2 guns and now you want all to listen and follow your every advise. I mean seriously man.

I can't comment on what other folks so, I can only comment on my experience. Why should I change when I have such good luck with them? When I am trying to make 500 yard shot, and I move up 5MOA, I hit 5MOA high and hit my target.

Believe me, when I was younger, I had all those banners, 8pts, pine ridges, even tascos, and weavers. None of them survived. I bought my brother a 204 and told him I would set it up. He insisted he wanted that VX1 and he would pay for it. right off the bat, right in the store, I could look thru it, and some basic scope tests and knew it was garbage. Glare was aweful, resolution sucked. I told him, I would reconsider, but he said he wanted it. These are basic tests that anyone can do in the store. You just happen to leave with it without doing these tests.

If any of my long range scopes do not pass the box test and return to zero, they get either sent back or most likely sold very quickly. I mean look at burris, that company is so dumb they put a posilock on a target turret signature scope. How dumb can a company be? Speaking of which, I have had a black diamond 30mm tactical and signature series, and both would not track corretly.

So tell me what is your experience with target scopes? Which ones do you own?

Last edited by bigcountry; 09-21-2010 at 06:02 AM.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

BC

Cut to the chase;

Which $200 to $300 scopes do YOU recommend ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.