Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Scope Question

Old 10-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Spike

Default Scope Question

Hello all,

I am new to these forums and was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on scopes. I have recently purchased a Savage .243 for my fiance. It came with a scope, but as most know the scopes that usually come with combos are crappy. I am looking at putting a new scope somewhere in the $200 range on it. I have a good friend who swears by the Simmons Aetec, does anyone have any comments on it. I have also looked at some of the lowerend Leupolds (The Leupold Rilfeman). I need some help figuring out what would be the best scope for my prize range. Any advice would help.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a Leupold man, I'd have to go with the Leupold VX-I 3x9x40...
It runs $230 at Bass Pro...I'd just spend the extra $30 over the Rifleman because the VX lines can be returned to have the parallex adjusted, reticles changes, etc...The VXs also have better glass so they allow more light through...I've had both my deer rifles changed out to the Heavy Duplex reticle, at 54 it really helps in low light situations...

If I didn't go with a Leupold, I'd go for either the Nikon ProStaff or the Buckmasters...They are $160 and $210 in Bass Pro...
Old 10-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

I would stay away from the Simmons. I have had 2 Aetecs go bad in less than 2 years. The leupys are not all there talked up to be as I have seen 2 of them go bad. For the money you have to spend I would look at the Nikons or Burris FFII.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

For mid-range price of $150 to $325, I really like the Nikon scopes. I have several and am very happy with the clarity and light gathering ability. The lower end models have 95% light transmission and the Monarchs have 97%. That's a lot of light gathering assuring one can see until last shooting light. Right now there's a "Lightly used" Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 for only $140 at eBay. Scoop it up. LOL!

You can't go wrong with Nikon. Once had a 3-10x50 Monarch come bad right out of the box from a dealer, told Nikon and had it sent in. In about 9 days total, they gave me a new scope postage paid!

iSnipe
Old 10-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Spike

Thanks for all of the advice. I have a friend who has a monarch and he loves it, but it is one ofthe higher ends, so its a little out of my range.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Spike

guy you should go with the leupold. they are rugged and dependaple plus clear and accurate. i would recomenned swaroski but that may be some what outside your price range. my bro has a simmons and there is nothing wrong with it its a fine optic but i use leupold and my dad has had one on his rifle for a long time. you would not be dissapointed with a "good" simmons or a leupold.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with the other guys that said go with a Nikon. I put a Buckmaster on my 30-06 this past summer and I am pretty happy with it so far. I think I paid $199 from local dealer. The Prostaffs are around $50 cheaper, and I've heard good reports on them also. From my experience Nikon has good customer service and they stand behind their products. They also have quick turn around if you do need something fixed or replaced.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

In that range, the Bushnell 3200 Elite.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

I would go with the Nikon Prostaff in that price range
Old 10-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
In that range, the Bushnell 3200 Elite.
+2 owned a number and never regretted it.

Burris FFII would be another option.

I have had no experience with Nikons under the monarch & none with vortex or sightron, however I see/hear guys who like these.

Use to be a leupold guy but lost me when they went to the VX III from the vari x III (a very solid scope), no longer worth the price IMHO. Been buying Zeiss Conquests since my less then desirable VX III purchase, 5 so far..I like em'!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.