Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Scope Question

Old 10-29-2009, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the site! I moved your thread to the optics section for some more opinions. I like Nikon optics.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Burris Full Field II is what I'd get if it was me on that budget. I actually own one as well as a Leupold VX-I. I'm not sure I will own another Leupold either. I bought the Leupold first when I bought my rifle about 2 and a half years ago. Bought it new but the rifle used at a local gun shop. Lasted about 7 or so months. Quite a bit of that was while it was not being used. I used it during hunting season. Now I did have it fall over once in grass but the scope didn't seem to hit hard. Anyway, it worked for a bit after that and then all of a sudden one day I noticed that after I shot you could see what looked like the cross hairs shaking inside of the scope.

Off to Leupold it went. I used a $30 Tasco from Wal-Mart while this scope was in for repair. When I got back the Leupold I re mounted it on my rifle. This was right after hunting season that I mounted it. I sighted it in and shot it a few times and put it up. Brought it out again right before hunting season and shot it. Seemed like the scope was adjusting it self when shot. Off it went again to Leupold. Got it back and put it on a BP rifle that I just recently sighted in so I will see how it lasts. I will say I shot T7 pellets first then later switched to Pyrodex and it was about 7" high. I really wonder if the scope still isn't holding zero as that seems like way too much of a difference just for a change of pellets that were both 100 grains. However, I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt that maybe it was the pellets. That being said I do not like this scope and I wouldn't buy another one or recommend it to anyone. Although Leupolds customer service does seem to take care of you this is ridiculous for a $230 scope.

When it comes to clairity which is one think I hear people rave about on higher price scopes I couldn't tell a difference between the Leupold and the $30 Tasco I used. I had a couple buddies look through both and both of them said that the Tasco looked clearer to them. I personally couldn't tell much if any of a difference. I also never had any issues with the Tasco and seems like the Leupold is always having issues. Not to mention when the Leupold has worked it seems like it loses zero super easily if you bump the scope or it tips over or anything.

So now my rifle wears a Burris Full Field II I picked up on clearance last year for $199 with a free Garmin eTrex GPS. Too good of a deal to pass up so I thought I'd try it. After trying it I can honestly say this is my favorite scope. Now when it comes to clarity you can really tell a difference with this scope. A friend was helping me sight in when we put it on. He looked through it first and went "wow." So of course I had to look to see what he was talking about. If you looked through the Leupold then the Burris the was quite a bit clearer with more vibrant colors. Not that the Leupold isn't clear it's just after looking through the Burris it looked so much better.

After using the Burris I've also noticed it does a lot better in low light. I can see things through it I can't see with my naked eye where as with the Leupold if I can't see it with my naked eye I probably wont see it through the scope.

Now I've only had the Burris for a year or so but so far it's really held up well and not lost zero on me.

I've just been really impressed with it and the VX-I has been nothing but problems for me. If I was to choose between the VX-I and a $30 Tasco the next time I'd get the Tasco. I'm not saying it's the best scope out there however for me it's turned out to be a way better scope than the Leupold.

Now if I was going to pick any scope under $200 like you said you were the Burris is the clear choice. I'd for sure go with it again. It's like I said my favorite scope I've had. I've also got several buddies that were impressed by it.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Best advise is to save your money and get some "good" glass.

Rule of thumb; spend at least as much as you spent on your gun (some say 2X).
Old 10-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

hometheaterman, I just sent my VX-II 2-7x33mm Shotgun Scope back to Leupold yesterday (10-28-09) for the third time. The only other scope I've had trouble with was a $40 Tasco. That was only $40 as mentioned. Having to send this $300 Leupold back THREE TIMES and wasting hundreds of dollars on sabot slugs trying to get my shotgun sighted in is really starting to pi$$ me off...big time!

As far as I'm concerned Leupold doesn't make any better of a scope then Bushnell or Simions but they charge an outrageous price for their products. I know guys are going to disagree with me. I've given Leupold two times to prove me wrong and so far they haven't. I just call it like I see it!

If they don't take care of it this time they'll never get another penny from me.

Last edited by New York Hunter; 10-30-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

Get the Nikon Prostaff.. They are great scopes for the money.. I have them on all my rifles..
Old 10-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot to mention I only know 3 guys with Leupold scopes personally. 2 of us have had issues with them. The 3rd one just got his last year on a muzzle loader and said he hadn't had it long enough to see if he likes it last I talked to him about it which was last year. I will hopefully get to see him tomorrow so may ask him how it's holding up a year later now.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Vortex diamonback!
Old 10-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

leupold are the best for price. customer service is next to none.
i hear the lower end nikons are decent.
but, one day when we all have lots more money and a new president, i vote for the Meopta. they are about 1k. but they make the glass for swar.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by OregonHunter5
leupold are the best for price. customer service is next to none.
That's what I keep hearing. So far that hasn't been the case for me at all. I already gave them two opportunities to fix the same scope. Now It's back for the third time. Trust me when I tell you this is strike three. If they don't fix it this time I'm done with them.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

burris blak diamond mil dot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.