Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
 Nikon Slughunter on an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter >

Nikon Slughunter on an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Nikon Slughunter on an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter

Old 10-29-2007, 03:36 AM

Default Nikon Slughunter on an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter

Last week I posted a question about shooting rifled slugs through a smooth bore and their accuracy. I had stated that eventually I was going to purchase a 20ga. H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. Apparantly, the compulsive side of me has decided that "eventually," isa lot sooner than later.

So I'm gearing up to buy the gun, and I'm thinking about putting a Nikon Slughunter on it (with the BDC reticles). Anyone have this scope? What are general opinions on it?

With regard to the Nikon Omega, I understand the concept: Use their "receipe" of 150gr. pyrodex (or equiv) and a 250gr bullet and your bullet drop will be x at 150yds, x+1 at 200yds, and so on. What I don't understand about the slughunter is how can they (being Nikon) put together a scope that will work with all shotguns? 12ga. vs 20ga? Lightfields vs Barnes Expanders vs any other slug on the market?
How can Nikon make 1 scope to fit all applications in this instance? Or, is it crap? Do I have to sight in at 50, and then figure out what distances the remaining reticles actually apply to? Not trying to over-complicate things, it's just kinda working out that way. Any insight is appreciated.

Kevin
Old 10-29-2007, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nikon Slughunter on an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter

What nikon does isuse a somewhat generic reticule. You will get best results if you approximate their "standard" load reccomended by them. That having been said,it works and is a excellent made scope. It'll keep you on hair.
I just recently ordered a dozen nikons after hearing about them as compared to leupold. After considerable testing,ALL scopes have experienced NO failures!!!
Old 10-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Save yourself alot of money and get a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x 32mm shotgun scope for $129.00. It's all you need for a slug gun. The energy level of a 20 ga. slug is questionable beyond 150 yards for deer hunting anyway. Just zero in with the Prostaff at 100 yards, and your good to go for hunting from 0-150 yards as long as you center your crosshairs on the vitals.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:29 PM

Thanks both of youfor the info. - very helpful. Hunting the North, should I consider a 12ga, or does the kick of a 12 make it less accurate?
Old 10-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

The 12ga. slugs do have a pretty good kick to them. When you are hunting with a coat on and are only taking one or two shots it's no big deal, but when your sighting in at the range, you just want to call it quits after about 5 rounds.

If I were to buy a dedicated slug gun, I would get a 20 ga.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

I have both USH's 12 & 20.... Both are extremely acurate, but if your not going to hunt anything bigger than a black bear, than i would say, stick with the 20... I shot a 300lb. Black bear with my 20ga. and it flipped it 180 degrees and dead in a matter of seconds, so it's more than capable with whitetails. It's the same size bullet that comes out most .50 cal. muzzleloaders!

Your going to have to play with your loads a bit to find the ballistics to match the recticle crosshairs. I believe the slugs hunters scope recticle is set for slugs traveling 1900 f.p.s.

NikonProstaff is also a good scope for the price!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2007, 03:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Hunting the North

The 12ga. slugs do have a pretty good kick to them. When you are hunting with a coat on and are only taking one or two shots it's no big deal, but when your sighting in at the range, you just want to call it quits after about 5 rounds.

If I were to buy a dedicated slug gun, I would get a 20 ga.
The H&R Ultra Slug gun has VERY LITTLE kick because of it's weight.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Spike

The Nikon slug hunter was made for shotguns with a rifled barrel. I have a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 pump action shotgun with a 24" rifled barrel I have to use sabot slugs only and with the hornadys or the new Remington accutips with the Nikon slug hunter i can shoot 150 to 200 yards with those slug from all of the reviews i have read.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by CrowMagnumMan
The H&R Ultra Slug gun has VERY LITTLE kick because of it's weight.
The Nikon slug hunter was made for shotguns with a rifled barrel. I have a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 pump action shotgun with a 24" rifled barrel I have to use sabot slugs only and with the hornadys or the new Remington accutips with the Nikon slug hunter i can shoot 150 to 200 yards with those slug from all of the reviews i have read.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that BDC is a gimmick, that is just me. I have Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 on all my rifles and shotguns (ie: my H&R ULTRA DELEUXE 20ga.) accept for one rifle