Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Saltwater Fishing
 Chesapeake Bay Fishing Reports... >

Chesapeake Bay Fishing Reports...

Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Chesapeake Bay Fishing Reports...

Old 07-09-2003, 11:48 PM

Default Chesapeake Bay Fishing Reports...

I see that there are a few people that live here in Maryland, and live near the chesapeake bay region. I was just wondering if anybody wanted me to post fishing reports a couple times a week or so for Maryland' s salt water and maybe some fresh. I get new reports of where the fish are really biting just about everyday. If anyone is interested, just reply and I will post a report a few times a week. Later....
Old 07-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Chesapeake Bay Fishing Reports...

MBuckH72 I would like that, I fish the lower potomac sometimes from the Va. side.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:42 AM

Why not?
I' ll be fishing down around Taylor' s Island tomorrow and Saturday, I' ll let you know how I did.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:59 PM

Alright guys....will do

As of yesterday, they were still trolling for rockfish!! Mostly chummers though. 42 incher trolled up near the lower potomac at the point look out area...mostly chummers though, around in the area. As you know, the size on rock has to be 18 or over.....out of 100 fish, you might catch 5 keepers....they are extremely small through out the bay. I was told by the charter captains, that if you find a huge school of fish, with a bunch of chummers at the school, move away from the school and mark with the fish finder around the school, for smaller schools....thats where the bigger fish usually hang out. The best area for rockfishing is below the Bay bridge, from thomas point , bloody point, the hill and south.....even as far as Chrisfield...maybe even further south(Rockfish north of the bridge are for the most part, small). It' s been rare for a fish over 30 in. to be caught (rockfish). You can attempt trolling, but your much better off chumming, you' ll catch a whole lot more fish. If you croaker fish......they are infested!! They done moved out of the rivers mainly, and stay in the bay right outside of the rivers.... I fished off of choptank pier 13 times this year....and they moved out. They will start moveing back into the rivers in a few weeks for the spawning. A lot of croaker being caught in the chum line north of the bay bridge!.....

Spot are starting to move north of the bay bridge, but mainly small. I caught them up to 12 inches last year.

Sea trout are slow catching, but should pick up here shortly. I hear they are at the puppy hole near chrisfield.

Blue fish are starting to move up, but are still catching a bunch off of the route 50 bridge at ocean city.

Will update if I hear new reports!! (which is just about everyday) Hope this helps guys!
Old 07-11-2003, 08:26 PM

New Report...

Jumbo Spot in the lower bay, Jumbo croaker at hacketts, and scattered sea trout at hoopers Island.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well my son and I did an overnighter at Colonial beach, salt water cats & some nice sized croakers. Sounds like things are going to really start popping soon.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:32 PM

Scattered sea trout are in the lower bay now....as far north as choptank fishing pier. Good to hear you had a good trip bud!!