Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

CHESAPEAKE ALLERGIES

Old 08-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Spike

Default CHESAPEAKE ALLERGIES

I HAVE A 3 YR. OLD CHESSIE. BEST HUTNING DOG I'VE EVER OWNED, BUT DURING THE HOT WEATHER HE SUFFERS FROM TERRIBLE SKIN ALLERGIES. HE LOSES FUR AROUND NECK AND EYES AND THE SKIN GETS RAW. I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING HYPO-ALLERGENIC FOOD, SHAMPOO, POWDERS, ETC. ANYONE WITH CHESSIES EXPERIENCED THESE PROBLEMS? ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL. THANKS
Old 08-07-2007, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CHESAPEAKE ALLERGIES

What does your Vet say?
What treatments has the Vet tried?
Have you tried Fish Oil?

PS Tap your "Caps Lock" key

Old 08-07-2007, 07:20 AM
Spike

vet doesn't have a real clear explanation. steroid shots and pregnizone control it, but he obviously can't take antibiotics 100% of the time. fish oil helps but not quite enough. i think i am going to have a 105lb house guest during the summer months. just wondering if anyone had a magic cure they have found.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

A high percentage of skin allergies are flea related. If you have good flea control then you should have the dog allergy tested. My friend just had her cocker tested and his is mostly diet related. Changing food has already helped him.
I have had to give Claritin to a couple my old dogs when we know we're going to hunt in fields full of ragweed. They'd get watery eyes, sneeze and one even wheezed. The Claritin & Benedryl helped.
Prednisone isa wonderful drug but not something you or your pet would want to be on long term.
Check with the national breed club, some breeds are prone to allergies of certain types especially in Southern climates.
The thyroid can also cause skin conditions in dogs. The omega 3 fatty acids are good for coat and skin.