Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Reloading question... >

Reloading question...

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading question...

Old 04-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Reloading question...

Is it really a big help with accuracy to seat the bullets out closer to the rifling or is there any difference? I am wondering if I should buy a gauge to measure this or if the benefits are wrth the costs. I have read conflicting reports throughout the net on this topic. Thanks in advance!

BTW Gave up on one powder have bought 3 so far and was gave 2 more different kinds. I have Reloader 15, 19, H335, H4350 and Varget....gonna buy some IMR 4831 and be done with it I hope..lol.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Reloading question...

Depends on the gun. The tool your looking for is a Stoney Point comparator. You'll also need the modified case.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:23 PM
bigcountry

Doe, it helps but if you have tried all that, and changed bullet wieghts, then you might want to look at what is causing the problem. Maybe your crown, maybe headspace. One thing I do is if I see a factory load shooting well, I measure everything about it. From bullet seating depth to head and shoulders. I then try to match that. Another thing is too look for concentricity of the bullet. Roll the bullet on a flat surface and see if the bullet wobbles.

Old 04-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep the Stoney Point is what i was looking at. Big all the guns Im gonna reload for shoot factory ammo very well....dont ask me why I wanna reload...I just do...lol. I think its mainly to shoot more and try some different bullets, if I can at least equal the accuracy Im getting from factory rounds I will be a happy camper. So I dont have real high expectations. I am just getting started and am still rounding up equipment. My 270 has a very loose chamber but it still is the best grouping gun I have for some reason. I guess the only one that really doesnt group tight is my old 243.

Bascially I was just wondering if that longer bullet seat was a help or hype. Im sure I will try it sometime eventually..just tryin to cut the clutter. One good thing is I havent threw a piece of brass away in the last 10 years...even though i didnt reload then I knew I would one of these days. While I am at it here I have a couple of older manuals but what is the best one of the bunch out there to buy? Or is it like powder? Buy all ya can afford cause you'll probably use it someday?
Old 04-28-2005, 12:18 AM

If I were you I'd change ONE variable at a time and keep good records of what the results are. Play with bullet seating depth, powder, primers and even brass - but do them one at a time.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

well yes it matters to an extent......i have found the measurements where my bullets meet the lands on almost all of my guns, but seating the bullet close to them doesnt always equal an accurate load. In fact I have one particular rifle that likes the bullet .090 off the lands (which is not concidered close by any means) however I always start close when testing .... (.015-.030) and work out from there. Another thing to take into concideration is cycling through your magazine, it wont do any good to have a bullet seated way out, but not function through your magazine! Some guns (300 RUM etc.) you need to find out how long it can be to cycle through the mag and then work from there.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

Is it really a big help with accuracy to seat the bullets out closer to the rifling or is there any difference? I am wondering if I should buy a gauge to measure this or if the benefits are wrth the costs. I have read conflicting reports throughout the net on this topic. Thanks in advance!

BTW Gave up on one powder have bought 3 so far and was gave 2 more different kinds. I have Reloader 15, 19, H335, H4350 and Varget....gonna buy some IMR 4831 and be done with it I hope..lol.

you a hunter? or a benchrest shooter? or for that matter a benchrest hunter? lol

I seat my 308's at 2.77" which is inside of the 2.750 and 2.800 saami specs for the particular bullet. And I get sub one inch groups, i even played a little on the length an seated them out to 2.800 and there was no difference in the accuracy then I seated them to 2.810 and the
groups had openned up to over a inch. it deffinately depends on the gun on how you seat your bullets.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll usually seat the bullet far enough out to fit in the magazine and reliably cycle through the action. My rule of thumb, if the bullet has a crimp ring seat to the ring and use that as your starting point. Some guns you can get close the lands others you may as well forget it. You didn't say what you are loading, maybe the gun just don't like those bullets.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:54 AM
bigcountry

Yep the Stoney Point is what i was looking at. Big all the guns Im gonna reload for shoot factory ammo very well....dont ask me why I wanna reload...I just do...lol. I think its mainly to shoot more and try some different bullets, if I can at least equal the accuracy Im getting from factory rounds I will be a happy camper. So I dont have real high expectations. I am just getting started and am still rounding up equipment. My 270 has a very loose chamber but it still is the best grouping gun I have for some reason. I guess the only one that really doesnt group tight is my old 243.

Bascially I was just wondering if that longer bullet seat was a help or hype. Im sure I will try it sometime eventually..just tryin to cut the clutter. One good thing is I havent threw a piece of brass away in the last 10 years...even though i didnt reload then I knew I would one of these days. While I am at it here I have a couple of older manuals but what is the best one of the bunch out there to buy? Or is it like powder? Buy all ya can afford cause you'll probably use it someday?
Most likely, its your reloading setup. I have definately seen new reloaders be hit or miss on thier loading. And I have helped a bunch get started. Some days its one hole groups and others its flyers. What I have found is its mainly do thier concentricity sizing technique. Some still don't believe me. But its none of my business, I let them do it anyway.

There are a few items you can get to help you diagnose why you are not meeting Factory ammo accuracy. One which I use alot is a stoney point head and shoulders gauge. You can compare your shoulders on your fireformed to your factory ammo. With this also you can set up your dies to match this. Second, is a bullet comparitor from Stoney point. Compare the bullet seating depth of your factory to your fired. Lastly, I love my sinclair concentricity guage. It will tell you, how straight you ammo is.

As far as the stoney AOL gauge, I have one and use it whenever I get a new gun but thats it. Best if you can find a buddy with one. I have only had issues on one gun from Mossy.

Listen I will be checking a few things in Williamson, WV in the next few months and checking on my family. I don't know, but maybe can help you diagnose some issues.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:12 PM

According to some just released info from Nosler co., that it doesn,t make any appericable difference in accuracy! only in vel.to some extent,and increased breech pressures. vangunsmith

Quick Reply: Reloading question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.