Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Live primer removal >

Live primer removal

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Live primer removal

Old 02-10-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Live primer removal

I've got a little problem I need some advice on. I checked my case length before resizing (now I know I need to wait till resized) and proceeded to load up some rounds without trimming. Anyhow, now I've got a batch of reloads with cases that are a bit long. They range from 0.002 up to 0.01" long. I'm not sure if this is a big problem or not. If I do decide to pull the bullets, is it safe to use the resizing/depriming die to remove live primers? If they don't go off, can they be reused? Thanks.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:58 PM

Default RE: Live primer removal

To use your resizing die with the deprimer is perfectly safe to due this process.In the future size your shells, then trime them to lenght,and using a deburring tool the inside then the outside of he case,then tumble pjolish them if you do this process,clean brass and then start to reload. hope this helped you and have fun and hope you don,t have any more problems,but thats how we learn. see yah vangunsmith
Old 02-10-2005, 05:15 PM

Thanks van.

If I choose to shoot these rounds do casings 0.002 to 0.01" longer than the max recommended length present a problem? i.e. are they unsafe to shoot? If I de-prime the live primers can they be reused or are they unreliable after this process?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:12 PM

Are you using the Lee case trimmer? I can't think of another design that would necessitate the removal of the primers.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:27 PM

Yes, I'm using the lee case trimmer. I went ahead and pulled everything, trimmed the cases, and will reload them tomorrow. Hopefully I can have some ready for the weekend.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:19 PM

Removal of a used primer or a live one will not hurt the brass,but no you can,t use the primer over after you take it out. They don,t cost that much anyway. Its always save to use a new primer when reloading. vangunsmith