Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

reloading .270

Old 01-15-2005, 07:48 PM

Default reloading .270

i was wondering if anyone can reccommend a .270 reloader to me that is simple to use. i also need to know what tools i will need. anyone have any tips?

thanks

mk
Old 01-16-2005, 10:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: reloading .270

Sounds like your new to the reloading game? I would suggest that you look into RCBS. They make great starter kits which includ press, powder thrower, scale, funnel.
Not sure if it comes with a powder trickler or not. You will also need a good manual (or several) and a set of dies and shell holder.
Then you have to get powder, bullets, primers, case lube, chamfering tool. In the near future, you will need a case trimmer (RCBS Trim-pro is a good one). I also recommend Hornady One Shot as the case lube.
Additional items you may want to consider are a hand priming tool, dial caliper.
For the .270, I would recommend using IMR4350 powder and a good 130 gr bullet such as Nosler or Sierra. My favorite load is 55 gr of IMR4350 behind a 130 gr Nosler solid base bullet. This load is moving along about 3000 fps and is very accurate - at least in my rifle.
Good luck and feel free to email me if you have any questions.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

if you got the cash, go with the rcbs. i didnt, and bought the Lee anniversary kit: Lee Anniversary
in addition to this, you will need a die set for .270 (pacesetter dies will do fine), a case trimmer, primers, powder and bullets. thats what i used to get started. Lee is budget equipment, but it gets the job done. the nice thing about the kit, is that it comes with Richard Lees reloading book. it gives alot of good info, put into simple terms. i have only been reloading for a year and half now, and im sure some of the more experienced guys will chime in with good info too
Old 01-18-2005, 08:52 PM

Get yourself a set of the latest Hornady reloading manuals. When I handloaded I got their manual, and read it over. It was the best investment ever made, and got me
started right on reloading.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hacimsaalk, Another good manual is Lee's. As a suggestion, if I were you I would look at several manuals (Hornady is also good), but see if you can find one that has a good instructional section. This is usually found in the front of the manual.
It gives a lot of valuable information.
Another thing that maybe you didn't know. Once you buy your press, scale, etc. - you are not limited to one cartridge for reloading. All you will need to buy are the different dies for the cartridge you are loading. Cost of dies are usually around $20 - $25 for a 2 die set (rifle usually) and about $30 - $40 for carbide sets which are generally for straight walled cases (i.e .357, .44, etc.)
Don't be afraid to ask questions here or you can email me. I don't mind helping newbies out.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:18 PM

I agree with bronko22000 RCBS is what I use my father in-Law has Lee stuff and it works good. I have 5 diffrent reloading books and sometimes that is not enough. My 2 270's eat 55gr's of IMR 4350 and 130gr. Hornadays with sub one inch groups at 100 yards and has several one shot kills over 300 yards.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:38 AM

Hacimsaalk,
You will undoubtedly receive a lot of advice about equipment, dies, etc.
You can't go wrong with an RCBS Rockchuker press. If money is an issue, look around you can probably find one used. To me equipment that is simple to use not only means easy operation, BUT trouble free as well.
That is RCBS all the way. When it comes to dies & shellholder, RCBS are good, I prefer Redding. I've had problems with Lee dies and I believe they currently have a recall on some .223 dies. I've also had problems with Hornady dies. Whenever I bought either Lee or Hornady I was trying to save money and ended throwing them away and buying RCBS or Redding.
You will need a powder scale, and the best non-electronic scale on the market bar none, is the RCBS 10-10, but you can get by on either of the two RCBS less expensive models. The RCBS 10-10 cost about what you'd pay for an inexpensive electronic scale, without all the associated difficulties. You will also need a case trimmer($60), primer pocket cleaner($8), inside/outside chamfer tool($12), steel calipers ($25), and a reloading manual. The bullet mfrs put out reloading manuals, so use the manual whose bullets you're using.
Check out MidwayUSA and MidSouth mail order houses for prices.
In addition to reloading manuals, you can also access powder mfrs websites for load data. A good way to double check the bullet mfrs load data.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:38 PM

I believe the Lee Loader is still available for under $20. You'll need components, and a plastic mallet. If you really want to get fancy, I bought a Lee Turret Press when they first came out. Sometime in the last 30 years the little plastic button that indexed the turret wore out and I had to replace it. Cost me $1. [&:]