Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 New to reloading >

New to reloading

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

New to reloading

Old 02-18-2003, 09:39 PM

Default New to reloading

I am new to reloading and need lots of help. First of all what do you actually " need" to reload rifle loads. I have read a lot of different posts and read many of different tools that do " this and that" but what is actually needed. Also, when buying primers what size do I need for a .270? I would consider it a large caliber but not a small, do they make medium size primers. (I am very new to reloading). And can anyone recommend a certain type or brand of powder to experiment with. That is all the questions I have right now, but I gurantee I will have many more. Thanks everyone in advance.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to reloading

I think first I would recommend that you get a book on reloading and read it .That will give you a better idea what it is all about . Then ask your questions . There are to many things to learn that it would be very hard to put it all down here so someone just starting could understand . Most reloading manuals will go a long way toward explaining it so you could start there .
Old 02-19-2003, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with halcon 100%...
Old 02-19-2003, 05:52 PM

I agree with Halcon and Pajack. The book(s) will explain everything. Lyman or Lee but preferably both. Read them several times then read them again. Keep them close you will refer to them constantly. There are other posts here that list what equipment you need. I posted some of them. Go back read all the posts here. It' s not that I don' t want to help but although it' s not a lot of stuff it takes a lot of time to list it when it' s already here.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

See if you can pick up the " NRA Guide to Reloading" , the book is only about $11.49. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the advice. I really need to get a manual. I have been looking on ebay for reloading stuff and was wondering which manual and what editions to get. There are so many different ones, what actually varies from book to book? Also I am looking to reload a .270 and saw some dies on ebay. They were for RCBS, and the loader that someone is giving me is a lyman. Can I use those dies with that loader or do they have to match brand names??
Old 02-19-2003, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can go on line with www.midwayusa.com and order thier catalog . This will help you compare prices to what they are asking for reloading equipment on ebay or give you a good place to buy equipment and supplies. Some of the dies on ebay are not a bargain and its easy to pay to much if you don' t know the prices and the difference in dies .
Old 02-20-2003, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve found the most informative manual is LYMAN...
Old 02-20-2003, 11:33 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the Lyman Ideal Reloading Manual NO. 39. I have been watching this one on ebay and was wondering if it would classify as one of the older Lyman manuals that ya' ll are talking about?
Old 02-21-2003, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

# 39 is one of their older editions. Currentl issue I believe is still @ 47, that' s the one I have anyway. I read several of the manuals prior to starting out. A few pieces of advice, Ebay is good, just remember to comparison shop before bidding. There are several vendors online, Midway, Cabelas, etc. I personally use Midway' s prices as a guide and decide what I' ll pay a little extra for. If your just starting out and don' t have any equipment, by all means go the route of a starter kit, Lee' s kit is about the most affordable, you' ll want to upgrade and add other acessories as time goes on. Either way your in the right place so ask away, but do study the book and have a thorough understanding before you attempt to load.

Quick Reply: New to reloading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.