Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 What else will I need to buy before reloading? >

What else will I need to buy before reloading?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What else will I need to buy before reloading?

Old 06-26-2005, 12:47 PM

Default What else will I need to buy before reloading?

I am going to begin reloading 22-250 with a guy who already has all the components and reloads 243. So I went out and bought unfired brass, bullets, primers, and the Lee Deluxe Die Set (neck sizing collet die, dead length bullet seater, and full length sizing die). I know I need powder, but I'm going to try his first and see if I want to stick with that brand or try another. I've been shooting factory Hornady 50g V-Max, so I have 30 of those once fired casings in case I can use them to match the neck size to the new cases.

I've been trying to do as much research as possible and reading the instructions that came with the Lee Die Set, I'm wondering if I'll need any of the following:
depriming die?
case trimmer?
debur tool?
chamfer tool?
case holder?

And are any of the above universal such that if he already has a tool for 243 would I be able to use it with 22-250?

thanks for the help
Old 06-26-2005, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What else will I need to buy before reloading?

Well Lets see.............
1) A de-priming die is not necessary. I have one cause I like to de-prime my fired cases before tumble cleaning them - but it is NOT a requirement.
2) A case trimmer WILL be required at some point - especially if you full length resize. Resizing stretches the brass toward the case mouth and eventually, your cases will get too long & not chamber if they aren't trimmed. The little Lee trimmer that you can use by hand is all you would need for the time being..........it costs about $6 for the trimmer and case holder.
3-4) A de-burring & chamfering tool will be needed for brass that has been trimmed to keep the mouth open to accept bullets.
5) Your Lee Die set should have a case holder in it - it will be needed because it holds the case for the sizing, priming, & bullet loading processes.

As far as universality is concerned, a de-bur/chamfer tool is, as well as the de-priming die. Case holders can be used for different cases in the same family.......a case holder for a .308Win also is good for .243 and any other case with the same head dimensions - even for .45ACP. Case trimmers are usually universal, but you have to have a piece for each bore caliber you trim................unless you go with the little Lee trimmer - that is a case-specific design.