Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Jacket Bullet for the 44 Mag >

Jacket Bullet for the 44 Mag

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Jacket Bullet for the 44 Mag

Old 12-28-2004, 06:54 AM

Default RE: Jacket Bullet for the 44 Mag

Yes. But it's got a lot more zip than the 30-30. I hunted with a 7mm Mag for years and I'm still very pleased with this little cartidge.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:58 AM

Our deer hunting camp is all 7-30 Waters Contender hunters except for one guy that has an Encore in 7mm-08. I agree that the 7mm-08 is probably the perfect whitetail cartridge BUT.... the Encore is BIG and heavy and there is a lot more recoil. In a handgun, I'll take the 7-30 when my shooting distances is under 250 yards.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:03 AM

I agree on the cast cg bullets. That's primarily what has been shot out of this gun for years. My rational for jacketed bullets is that I don't have time to cast bullets and my shooting is going to be farily limited, maybe a hundred rounds a year once I get my load worked up and I want a source for consistent bullets that I can buy from year to year. If I knew where I could buy a good cast cg bullet AND I was confident that I could always get them, I would consider that. But I have too may irons in the fire to start casting. I wish I had time to cast bullets but I'm going to resist the tempation.

Daryl
Old 12-28-2004, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've used the hornady XTP in 240 gr with excellent accuracy from a marlin rifle. I know there is a difference but they held up well at higher rifle velocities so they are probably worth a try out of the handgun.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:07 AM

Daryl,

Relatively new here, but I've been using the combo's that you're asking about and I might be able to assist somewhat.

Regarding the .44 Mag load, anything in the 240gr. JHP range using H110, has always worked well for me out of my SBH with 24.0grs. and a magnum primer. I used to use Sierra's exclusively, but Hornady's XTP's have garnered quite a following in the last couple of years. I also switched back to Hornady's VMax's in all my CF Contenders, Encores & Strikers.

If I were going to use bulk, as with you, I'd opt for the Remington 240JHP. I've used them alot, as well as the 180gr JHP .357 varieties for loading in the Magnums and Maximum's for the last 20yrs. or so, and they perform as well as just about any premium bullet.

I use 99% cast bullets in handguns anymore as I "roll my own".
Magnum velocities get the gaschecked types, but 260 to 300 gr cast hollowpoints work real well on deer, or whatever I've hit with them.

Also, regarding the 7-30 Waters, I did some load work on a friend's gun recently using 120gr VMax's and his report when asked how they performed was......... "stellar!"
He uses a 14" scoped Contender.
I'll relay any info that will help.

Take care,
Bob