Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 7mmstw v. 7mm ultrmag >

7mmstw v. 7mm ultrmag

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

7mmstw v. 7mm ultrmag

Old 11-05-2004, 02:47 PM

Default 7mmstw v. 7mm ultrmag

I have an opportunity to pick up one of the few remaining sako 75s in either 7mmstw or 7mm ultramag (Sako is no longer offering these calibers). Practically speaking, when both are loaded to maximum pressures, what velocity difference can be expected shooting 150-160 grain bullets. My sense is the stw might give up 50 to 100 fps but at the cost of signicantly more recoil and reduced barrel life. My plans for the rifle are as a long range deer/back up elk rifle (it will share space with a 300 win, 300 wby and 340 wby). I will be shooting only premium bullets. Which should I choose? Forunately, need has nothing to do with the analysis!
Old 11-05-2004, 02:55 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: 7mmstw v. 7mm ultrmag

You got it. About 100fps. Most likely less. I like this STW round. Barrel life should be much better due to 10-15gr less powder also.

How much can you get this STW for? I wouldn't mind to have one for myself.

Old 11-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im own two 7mmstw's and one 7mmultramag.The ultramag adds about 75fps over the stw's.I believe that the ultramag case is just too large to be worthwhile with 7mm bullets.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion, both calibers are very good, Im sure stubble and bigcountry know more about them then me, but I do reload for the 7mm STW and this maybe stating the obvious but with both of these being such high horsepower speed freaks, the STW that I reload for doesnt like lighter bullets, when you start loading the 139 hornady's accuracy goes out the window, Im sure the 7 ultra is the same because of the high velocity, the only other obvious difference is the STW is a belted round whereas the Ultra is not, I know some people have some complaints about all the Ultras feeding (for dangerous game) but that shouldnt be an issue. My 300 ultra feeds fine. If I had to choose I'd take the 7 ultra, just my opinion. Oh and as far as recoil a good brake will take that out of the equation.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

the STW that I reload for doesnt like lighter bullets, when you start loading the 139 hornady's accuracy goes out the window, Im sure the 7 ultra is the same because of the high velocity
My own 7mmstw's shoot best with the 140gr ballistic tip.They average 1/2" groups with a muzzlevelocity of 3500fps.

as far as recoil a good brake will take that out of the equation.
Install a good recoil pad,forget the brake and save your hearing.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:44 PM

Stubblejumper

How to those 140 bt hold up at that velocity? I would guess they would be quite fragile if a shoulder were hit, particularly at close range. I sure love how accurately most bt shoot. Have you tried the accubonds at similar velocities? How did they shoot.

Big Country

I ordered the STW, had to pay 799 for the stainless synthetic. (It was made in 2003 so it isn't in the batch of recent stainless sakos/tikkas that are reportedly blowing up). As scarce as these guns in the magnum calibers are becoming, I figured I better snag one. I had hoped to find a 300 rum or a 300 wby in stainless synthetic. The 7mm stw and rum were all I could find. Had to order it from Cotts in MO. This was less than I would have had to pay last year when the local sports wharehouse had them in stock, even with shipping and paying a locall ffl dealer to do the paperwork.

Does anyone have some suggested loads for 150 or 160 partitions? I'm assuming 7828 will be about right, particularly for the 160. Anyone have any luck with TSX in this caliber? If I could them to shoot well enough, it might be an interesting all around bullet.--they have been driving me nuts in a 300 wby mark V with inconsistent accuracy. Any other suggestions? As noted, it will be a long range deer rifle and act as a backup for elk. With the exception of the tsx, my sense is a heavier bullet is in order.

As this is my first Sako, does anyone have any suggestions on rings? The sako rings look massive and heavy. I'm told leupold will also work. Any suggestions?
Old 11-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Install a good recoil pad,forget the brake and save your hearing.
sorry stubble thats the one thing I gotta disagree on, my 300 rum, has a brake, and it literally took the gun from a sloberknocking, arm bruising, mule of a gun, and turned it into a girlie gun that kicks less than any of my 7mm's or even my 06. I love my brake!!!
Old 11-05-2004, 08:20 PM

I had a muzzle break on a 30-378 some years back. That was the only rifle I've had that I thought it was justified. It sucks to have to wear hearing hearing protection during a hunt you are only likely to take on shot with--with the muzzlebreak on that rifle, that's what I had to do it was so loud. I'm ok with the recoil of the 300wby and 340wby without a muzzlebreak. I'm sure I'll handle the stw.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I now use the 7mmstw's for deer,pronghorn and bighorn and the 140gr ballistic tips have worked fine for those animals.When I hunted elk and moose with the 7mmstw's I used 140gr partitions and they did a great job.I haven't tried the new accubonds in my stw's and heavier bullets do not shoot nearly as well in my rifles.I now use my 300ultramags firing the 180gr ballistic tip for moose and elk and after 8 elk and 2 moose the results have been very good.I do not have brakes on any of my rifles.If the rifle is not comfortable to shoot,I change stocks,recoil pads or get rid of the gun as I won't hunt with earplugs in place and a single shot from a braked rifle without hearing protection can cause permanent hearing damage.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:19 AM

Default load recomendations for 7mm stw

Does anyone have any pet loads for the 7mm stw in 140 to 160 grain weights? I hope to work up an accurate load with one of the following:

139g interbond
140g tsx
140g accubond
140 partition
150g partition
160g partition
160g accubond

Also, does anyone know where I can find Layne Simpson's data for the stw? I've been unsuccesful in my search. Load will be primarily for long range deer/antelope and as a back up gun for elk. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: 7mmstw v. 7mm ultrmag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.