Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Partial Full Length >

Partial Full Length

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Partial Full Length

Old 08-19-2004, 07:32 AM
bigcountry

Default Partial Full Length

Ok, how do you guys do it? I do it on and off. Then end up going back to full length sizing. I set the die to touch the shell holder and then back it off 1/2 turn. Is this the accepted way? Or do you guys get more technical and buy headspace guage and turn it down until you start to barely see the shoulder start moving?

I never really see much improvement in accuracy if any. Biggest thing to help my accuracy was to deprime in a separate stage then move the expander ball all the way up as high as it goes. That stopped neck runout issues somewhat.

Old 08-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Partial Full Length

I use a stoney point comparator to only partially resize the case and it works like a charm. I think it really helped accuracy with the 300 wsm I was loading for at the time.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you loading for a semi-auto or a bolt-action? For a bolt action I've gotten best results from neck sizing only. I don't touch the shoulder or body of the case until chambering becomes an issue after 5 reloads or so. Then I partially full length resize just to bump the shoulder back a little so the cases will chamber ok. After doing so the partial FL the accuracy usually drops off just a little bit because the cases are precisely fireformed to the chamber anymore.

My method for setting the die for partial FL resizing is to put a lubed unsized case that chambers hard into the shell holder and run the ram up to the top. I then screw the die down until I feel firm resistance. Then I lower the ram and screw the die in about 1/4 turn and lock it. I then run the ram up and size the case. Then I remove the case and test chamber it in the rifle. If it chambers easily I leave the die where it is, if not I turn the die down another 1/4 turn or so and size again, repeating the proceedure until the case chambers easily. Once the case chambers well I just lock the die down and size the whole lot of brass. Between neck-sizing and this method of occational partial FL sizing I have seen very little case stretching (on the order of .001" after 8 reloads) and no need to trim cases (22-250).

My rifle averages .75MOA which is satisfactory to me so I don't stress myself out about issues like runout.

Mike
Old 08-19-2004, 09:44 AM
bigcountry

I am looking for a tad bit better accuracy at 500 yards. This 300RUM can shoot .5MOA at 100 yards, but at 500 and 600 thats a different beast with different problems.

I have several neck sizers. I find them to knock the neck out alot. So I quit using them. Only ones I like is the Redding competition bushing neck sizer. Excellent die.

I have tried in the past the hard chambering technique like John Barsness and several others write about, but that is so inconclusive for my feel for repeatable results.

Thanks for shareing your guys method.

Old 08-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

big country i know you know I'm a novice at this bottle kneck cartridge loading stuff,
But ive been using a Lee neck sizing collet die its been working great I have my 308 load all worked out now including my seating depth I'm so happy with at 200 yards 5 shots look like one ragged hole. I have been loading the same 20 casings over and over 5 times now to see what kind of life they are looking at. ive figured out with the collet neck sizer die if i give it another 1/4 turn it resizes the shoulders enough to feed smoothly in my gun. I know most of lees junk is junk but im begining to really like their collet die. I worked the load up to 46 grains of varget then backed it off to 45.5 grains with a COL of 2.780 the load chronographed at 2722 fps. LOL i'm giving you advice, but i say stick with the neck sizers if the brass gets to out of whack just full length size them and start over or if you have other fire formed brass use them and put the others aside, thats what I would do.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:11 PM
bigcountry

I agree the Lee collet is nice. I use it on my 308's, and 270's for second and third firings. They don't make them as of yet for the 300RUM however.

Old 08-19-2004, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

they dont ? that bites i figured they would have by now. I just looked in one of my catalogs looks like the only neck sizers for the 300 rum is rcbs and redding. But i am not familiar with them wether if they are the same as the lee collet die.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:31 PM
bigcountry

No, I highly discourage use of RCBS Necksizer. Its cool to use it once after FL, but after that, you really get runout issues.

Now the Redding is top quality. This is the Redding bushing competiton neck sizer. But its pricey.