Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Using the RCBS 5-0-5 scale... >

Using the RCBS 5-0-5 scale...

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Using the RCBS 5-0-5 scale...

Old 08-02-2004, 08:29 PM

Default Using the RCBS 5-0-5 scale...

My RCBS electic scale broke today and as I am in the middle of loading rounds as well as working up some loads for my new 7 mag, I was wondering how accurate is the 5-0-5 scale that comes with the rockchucker kit? I haven't used it as I bought the electric at the same time as I bought my rockchucker. If it is as accurate as the electric I will learn to use it and save money by not buying a new electric scale.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Using the RCBS 5-0-5 scale...

It is a very acurate scale and I trust mine more than digital scales. For plinking loads I use the powder measure and only weigh every 5 rounds but I weigh every round for my hunting loads.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

The RCBS 505 should be accurate to 1/10th of a grain. Sure enough it does take more time with the balance beam but is just as accurate. One important thing is........make sure you level and zero out the 505, if not it will not give proper readings. Another thing is to try to have it at eye level so you dont have to lean down to read the scale.

RCBS makes some of the best reloading equipment out there and they do stand behind their product. I am sure if you contact them they will do you whatever needs to be done to correct the problem at no charge to you.

I have a couple of older 505's and 5-10's on standby in case my Lyman LE 1000 electronic fails me. I think I bought it back in 1991 and it still going.

doubleA
Old 08-09-2004, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

For measuring powders I would feel more comfortable with that 505 than any digital scale, I was gonna buy a digital scale from a friend after trying it out I wasn't too imprest , Another friend who stated a beam scale gives a reading in real time where a digital scale takes a second to process so while trickling powder in the pan you might go over your mark before you even get a reading but with a beam scale it gives a reading instantly. Not doubting my friend but wanting to see for myself I tryed trickling a load and he was absolutely correct I went past my mark by 1.2 grain before the digital scale even gave a reading, So after that it will be a beam scale only for me but might use a digital scale for weighing bullets or a final charge weight.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:50 AM
bigcountry

You will find out how much easier it is to load with a beam than a electronic. Trickling loads will be a snap. I trust a mechanical scale anytime over digital. What do you think NIST uses to verify and cerify digital scales?

Old 08-15-2004, 09:02 PM
DM

The 505 is one of my all time favorite scales! I've had one around since way back before RCBS bought them from Ohaus.

It's really a great accurate scale that's easy to use!!

Drilling Man

Old 08-16-2004, 06:24 AM

I have an RCBS digital and like it very much.

I also have an old RCBS 5.0.5

I've checked them both against each other with no deviation in powder weight so I'm confident with my charges using either one.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:44 AM
bigcountry

for grins, with my cabelas points I got a RCBS wieght scale check set. Came with variety of calibrated wieght from .5gr to 200gr. And you can put them all on there for 498.5gr. Using the larger counterwieght I was dead on with my 505. In other words, measureing out things in increments of 10gr. But using my middle counter wieght (i.e. 1g increments), it was off by .05gr. Reason I know its .05gr is I would move the smallest counter and it would be overwieght or underwieght when I moved smallest counterwieght.

Thats pretty good for a 45 dollar scale. But now started thinking, its a waste of money for this scale check kit. After I verified my scales, won't use it again.

Old 08-18-2004, 08:36 AM
DM

But now started thinking, its a waste of money for this scale check kit. After I verified my scales, won't use it again.
It you ever hit the scale by accident, or ???? at least you now have a set of weights to check it!!

Drilling Man

Old 08-18-2004, 09:10 AM
bigcountry

True, add it the long list of stuff you really don't need, but like to play with in the reloading world.

Quick Reply: Using the RCBS 5-0-5 scale...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.