Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 what's your biggest booboo.....be honest? >

what's your biggest booboo.....be honest?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

what's your biggest booboo.....be honest?

Old 03-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what's your biggest booboo.....be honest?

Left the door to my reloadingroom unlocked and my wife went in looking for me . I'm not sure what thats going to cost me .
Old 03-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Left the door to my reloadingroom unlocked and my wife went in looking for me . I'm not sure what thats going to cost me .
Oh, boy, you're in deep **** now! I'd probably start with a nice night out on the town, fancy dinner, and a (couple) dozen roses. I've discovered that giving my wife anything with diamonds in it is an effective pacifier as well. But look at the bright side, if all your efforts to appease your wife fail, you could just move the couch into your reloading room and sleep with your stuff! [8D]

Mike
Old 03-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Loaded some 44 mags (Ruger redhawk) up one day and off to the range I went...4 or 5 test loads of the same powder but different amounts...Everything was all over the paper no good groups at all..thought the Leupold 2x pistol scope was off or loose? Seemed to settle down and get better. Went back to one of the first groups I had loaded and the bullet popped...did not sound like it went completely off. Waited & opened the cylinder everything was fired. So I marked the best group went home loaded more for hunting and left in the morning. Packed in about 4 miles and hunted all day with a friend.. Had a couple of does step in front of me but I was looking for horns..Hunt was over and days later I wanted to clean the Ruger 44 redhawk. I notice there was something stuck in the 5 1/2"barrel about an inch down! That last shot that popped at the range NEVER left the barrel... Now I check & re-check..I could not believe I never thought of checking the barrel..just looked at each shell and saw it was discharged> Assume nothing anymore!
Be carefull everyone. please
Old 03-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I was 13, I bought a Rem. 721 in .30/'06 for $80.00 at the Ft. Bragg NC Post Exchange. (Couldn't afford the additional $40.00 for a Model 70!!) Despite the fact that I could buy 150-grain FMJ plinking ammo for $3.00 a box, I needed to start handloading so I could shoot as much as I wanted. So I bought a Lyman 310 tool & a set of '06 dies, 100 primers, 100 150-grain G.I. bullets from the DCM, and a 1-pound paper bag of salvaged 4895 from B.E.Hodgdon for I think $0.25. Or thereabout, anyway.

I thought that the primers would be easier to seat in the cases if they were LUBRICATED BEFORE INSERTION!! They WERE easier to seat! BUT they had the bad habit of failing to fire!! It took me about a week to determine what the problem was! I haven't had a primer fail to ignite since I stopped oiling them. That was in 1953. I have pulled some dumb stunts with my muzzleloaders too over the years, but this was the biggest boo-boo I have ever made loading fixed ammunition!!
Old 03-21-2004, 09:28 PM

I had just started reloading had good success Then one fine day as I was shooting I noticed that shot was dead but had a little kick. Loked at target although my savage does do a lot of one holers this was the fith shot and only four holes. Forgot to put the powder so primer pushed the bullet about1/2" into barrel. Change my procedure never be over confident always find a way and a procedure that tends to eliminate such a stupid thing. $65.00 to have gunsmith remove the bulet.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

HL,

I did the same thing. Really hurt to pour it out.

dog1
Old 04-15-2004, 04:23 AM

Trusting a 140grain bst at high velocities. Never again will I shoot an animal with a polymer tipped bullet of any type. Bonded core or not.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:57 PM

I take several differnt contender pistols to range.Shoot a string with one while its cooling i shoot another.Well another shooter was talking to me and i laid the .223 down and picked up the .357.When i shot it sounded like the only thing went off was the primer.I opened the action to find a .223 case in the .357.I now have a 233 fire formed to 357 on my loading bench.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:09 AM

Back 17 years ago or so, my father and I decided to try handloading a "killer" deer round for our .280 rem Model 70's. Found out why you don't take 160gr X-bullets and grind the points to needlesharp, and then assume you took off about 20 grains, then load according "fill the case to nigh on the brim, cause it sure as heck looks like it supposed to be chock full of powder", (apparently the bullets actual final weight was around 156 grains, when we took charge out of the unfired bullets, average charge was 14.8 grains too much) we went right out to hunting after handloading without shooting in the bullets at all, they did hit within 2" of aiming point on an 8 pointbuck at 50 yards, but first shot out of fathers gun cracked the head of his bolt and burst the case so bad we had to get a gunsmith to get it out, then when said 8point didn't drop I who was standing next to my father at the time took a crack at it, I got away real lucky, split the barrel bout 2" past the chamber and the split sent gases and metal flyingl that happened to shred the front half of my swarvoski scope, fortunately our only injuries were bruised shoulders, empty wallets (we ended up buying brand new guns and scopes, ours were trashed) and sore feet from tracking a buck that was in fact double lung shot, just the needelsharp bullet never expanded and left the tinniest little bit of damage, causing the deer to take us over 1/2 mile before it fell over.

Needless to say we have never done something that utterly idiotic again, always check charge weights to bullet weights, and never, ever, ever, try to "improve" on a bullet
Old 05-11-2004, 10:14 PM

Got distracted loading some plinking rounds for my Super Blackhawk. Everybody at the range got a big kick out of my having to extract 240-gr lazercasts from the forcing cone of my pistol. The Lesson of the Day was to charge all 50 rounds, check them visually and ONLY THEN seat the bullets.
Then, there was finding out that a 22-caliber HORNET doesn't work in a 22-250. Even with a full charge, they hit the dirt after about 150 yards. It was a lucky day for Prairie Dogs. I can still hear cruel, varmint laughter echoing in my ears from that day.

Quick Reply: what's your biggest booboo.....be honest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.