HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what's your biggest booboo.....be honest?
Old 03-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Outdoor
Fork Horn

Default RE: what's your biggest booboo.....be honest?

Loaded some 44 mags (Ruger redhawk) up one day and off to the range I went...4 or 5 test loads of the same powder but different amounts...Everything was all over the paper no good groups at all..thought the Leupold 2x pistol scope was off or loose? Seemed to settle down and get better. Went back to one of the first groups I had loaded and the bullet popped...did not sound like it went completely off. Waited & opened the cylinder everything was fired. So I marked the best group went home loaded more for hunting and left in the morning. Packed in about 4 miles and hunted all day with a friend.. Had a couple of does step in front of me but I was looking for horns..Hunt was over and days later I wanted to clean the Ruger 44 redhawk. I notice there was something stuck in the 5 1/2"barrel about an inch down! That last shot that popped at the range NEVER left the barrel... Now I check & re-check..I could not believe I never thought of checking the barrel..just looked at each shell and saw it was discharged> Assume nothing anymore!
Be carefull everyone. please