HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what's your biggest booboo.....be honest?
Old 03-21-2004, 07:17 PM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what's your biggest booboo.....be honest?

When I was 13, I bought a Rem. 721 in .30/'06 for $80.00 at the Ft. Bragg NC Post Exchange. (Couldn't afford the additional $40.00 for a Model 70!!) Despite the fact that I could buy 150-grain FMJ plinking ammo for $3.00 a box, I needed to start handloading so I could shoot as much as I wanted. So I bought a Lyman 310 tool & a set of '06 dies, 100 primers, 100 150-grain G.I. bullets from the DCM, and a 1-pound paper bag of salvaged 4895 from B.E.Hodgdon for I think $0.25. Or thereabout, anyway.

I thought that the primers would be easier to seat in the cases if they were LUBRICATED BEFORE INSERTION!! They WERE easier to seat! BUT they had the bad habit of failing to fire!! It took me about a week to determine what the problem was! I haven't had a primer fail to ignite since I stopped oiling them. That was in 1953. I have pulled some dumb stunts with my muzzleloaders too over the years, but this was the biggest boo-boo I have ever made loading fixed ammunition!!