Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 What's your proceedure for working up a rifle load? >

What's your proceedure for working up a rifle load?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What's your proceedure for working up a rifle load?

Old 02-21-2004, 01:29 PM

Default RE: What's your proceedure for working up a rifle load?

driftrider,

OK Mike, you're hooked! It won't be long now and you'll be at the same point many of us get to, not being able to decide if you reload to shoot-or shoot to reload.

Sounds as if you have a good start. If any of us can help you in the future just let us know. Kood luck and God Bless.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:36 PM

Montana Bob,

Another nice thing about pdogs and chucks, you can work off a lot of stress by puting any face on them you want to. Getting even feels great!
Good luck and God Bless.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK Mike, you're hooked! It won't be long now and you'll be at the same point many of us get to, not being able to decide if you reload to shoot-or shoot to reload
I hear ya! When I first started I wanted to shoot. But then when I went to the range and started to see the result of my labor, I bagan to think about all the ways to make the loads better and couldn't wait to get back to my reloading bench to try my ideas. I'm definately having a lot of fun doing this. It feels good to print a nice group and know that not only did I shoot that group, but my handloads made it possible. It's very rewarding.

Mike
Old 02-21-2004, 11:03 PM

Mike,

I've had excellent success with my .22-250 using Hodgdon's Varget and H-4895, CCI BR2 primers and the Nosler 55 grain Ballistic Tip bullets. If you haven't selected a load yet, you might try them out. Have a good weekend. Good luck and God Bless.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

I quess compared to other, I dont go through near as much work. I did when I was younger and was a real student of the bench rest growd. Anymore though I have found that most any load for any caliber starting in the middle range of loads in the Hornady Manual, is my starting point. I load about five rounds of whatever weights I want to try but staying at least one grain below the Max. I then go to the range and take the chronograph. I let the rifle decide on the load for accuaracy. I don't fiddle with the bedding or the trigger or anything unless it becomes apparent that it needs the work. I always buy Synthetic stocked rifles and have found that most of them are fine from the box. I will then refine the loads with the best possiblities. Unless I have to play with seating depth, I don't do it and use the OCL from the Hornady manual. I always use Winchester or Norma brass if I am trying for a real good load. I also like to use the WW Mag primers although I have not found that primers have made a big difference. I am very happy with 0ne inch or better groups from a hunting rifle. That is three shot groups as long as the rifle will do it every time.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:44 AM

I load 6 rounds and shoot two 3 shot groups at 100yds. Starting just below max. (2-3 grains). I try to be as consistent as possible from one brass to the next, what ever I do to one I do to all, from preping the case to seating the bullets. I Always keep brass in lots I don't mix once fired brass with second fired. I just loaded 180gr serrias for my 06. 1st group was 1.5 second 1.4375. While I do not eccept the group size, it tells me that I was consistent with my loading practice and it was the formula that needs improved. I get worried when my groups vary, tells me I did something inconsistent or the gun has problem. Happy shooting.