Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Break-In Proceedure for new rifle? >

Break-In Proceedure for new rifle?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Break-In Proceedure for new rifle?

Old 03-19-2003, 01:34 PM
Spike

Default Break-In Proceedure for new rifle?

I have a brand new rifle to break in. I was just wondering how some of you guys break your new ones in. In the past I have cleaned the bore with Shooters Choice between each of the first five shots and between four sets of three shot groups. Let me know how you do it guys!!
Old 03-19-2003, 02:40 PM

Default RE: Break-In Proceedure for new rifle?

I always just shot mine. I didn' t know there was a break in procedure. I wiped it with a couple patches first. Of course I have only had a couple of new rifles, most have been used.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your on the right track, this is one of those subjects that will draw some varying opinions. I usually clean the barrel before the first shot, then after every three shot group for the first 12. After that after every 5 for the next 20 or so. By the time your done you should have your scope zeroed.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:05 AM

I' ve tried various break-in procedures over the years, but I' ve given up on them. Now I just give them an initial cleaning and start shooting them.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just recently bought a new rifle. I didn' t go through a break in process and never have on any of my new guns. I usually clean the bore before i start shooting and then began working up a load and just shoot and sight the scope in. After the first shooting session which may be 20-30 shots or more i clean the gun before i put it away and do the same thing each time after i finish shooting for that day. I' ve never had any problems with my rifles accuracy and they all shoot under an inch at 100yds. Good luck!
Old 03-20-2003, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always just shot mine also. I didn' t know there was a mandatory break-in procedure either, because up until about three years ago, I never heard of such a thing, and I' ve read about every book written by Keith, Page, Larry Brown, Ned Roberts, Harvey Donaldson, P.O. Ackley, Roy Dunlap, C.S. Landis, etc. It is possible that this procedure originated when the younger folks with non-corrosive, smokeless ammo, etc., got the impression they didn' t have to clean at all, so fouling built up and their accuracy suffered. When I lived in New Mexico, there were a lot of local hunters who never cleaned their guns AT ALL, and due to the low humidity, never had a problem with rusting. They' d all fire a shot or two every year to see if their zero had shiofted. If their groups were " minute of Mulie" , they were happy!!

Of course I have never owned a true target rifle or a benchrest gun, so would not bet that some kind of break-in might not help such a weapon. However, I DO have one 6mm/.284 with a Douglas Premium grade medium weight rifle which will fire five shots through one ragged hole @ 100 yards. This barrel has never been through a formal breakin ritual, unless done by Douglas before they shipped it. I also have a couple of Ruger No. 1' s that are a little better than 1-minute shooters, and they haven' t been " broken it" either. However, I dO clean my rifles after each range session. or hunt, if they have been fired.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:37 PM

thndrchiken,
Are you talking about shooting 136 shots, or 32 shots. what I mean when you say 12 do you mean 12 shots or 12 three shot groups? Just wondering.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ARBowHntr, lol, 32 it would be a real long day the other way. Especially if your shooting anything bigger than a 30-30. I" ll usually use cheap factory loads to get the barrel broke in, though like others have said I also question the necessity of a break in but I figure it can' t hurt either. Once the scope is zeroed usually in the first 12 -17 rds, then shoot a few more groups and clean after the range session. Then I start working up an accurate load, not necessarily the fastest it' s been said " did that groundhog know how fast that bullet was that missed."
Old 03-20-2003, 04:12 PM

Barrel break in is more about cleaning the rifle than accuracy.
Done properly is smooths imperfections in the barrel and allows quicker cleaning.

If your rifle is going to be used for hunting purposes IMO don' t worry about it.
Just go enjoy shooting and clean your rifle at the end of each shooting session or even every other shooting session.