Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 working up a load? >

working up a load?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

working up a load?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:47 PM

Default working up a load?

need some help here guys....i got my 370 grain maxi balls going. started at 70 grains at 50 yards and was shooting good enough to get my sights on...but 3" inch groups are not cutting it using a bench rest....i finished off with 3 rounds off hand and was still in the black, but evenly spaced around the edges at 8 - 12 - and 4 oclock...i'm comfortable my sights are are on....But....now what do i do? raise the powder amount 10 grains and see what happens? is there a procedure for "Working up a load"? does too much powder, or not enough show any tell - tale signs?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:51 PM

Default RE: working up a load?

Yes, Adjust powder until your groups start to open.

Once you find the powder charge that shoots best, add a felt wad. I used ox yoke felt wads and they helped big time.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

As stated, if you are not already, I would try some felt wads undneath the maxiballs.

I would also shoot some groups at 75 gr, 80, 85, and 90gr at 25 yards and see if any of those seem to be doing better than 70 gr. If so, then move back to 50 and beyond and see how they do.

What are you planning to hunt with this load?
Old 07-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with both previous post. And add one more thing - until you've found your rifle's pet load, stay shooting off the bench. There is just too much error shooting offhand.
Once that load is found, then by all means, practice shooting offhand to get the feel of your rifle. And remember, a rest of any sort is better than offhand.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

We have different methods, but the basics are start at the bottom of the load range and go up 10 gr at a time when you find the load that shoots the best try 5 gr either side of it.
After you have the best load try a single fiber wad, then a wad with a greased wad on top of it, then a wad with 20 gr by vol of corn meal on top and a greased wad on top that. The gun will usually have a preference. Lee
Old 07-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

When your load is accurate stop.Several years ago I wanted to use the Staghornwith the 370 grain Maxi Ball. Started with 70 grains of PyrodexRS. That load made1.25 and smallergroups at 75 yards.Any more powder and the groups fell apart. Dismissed the 70 grain load as not powerful enough and went back to sabots.Have been told I'm an idiot for doing that.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:03 PM

you guys are great! i had a friend of mine suggest i take the gun in and have the barrel checked before i go any further, so i did..... i didn't own a bore light before, but i got one now...this shop i went to boasted god knows how many years experience with black powder guns and pulled out the stops running me through the basics.....

the barrel checked out ok, and they had the rear peep sight i been looking at in stock too! i was jazzed. these old timers recomended i should try the Hornady Great Plains bullets in 410 grains. they weren't really bad mouthing the TC Maxi Balls, but showed me why the preferred the Hornady. theyopened up a couple boxes of slugs and showed me the difference in the two. i liked the looks of the concave base of those bullets better than the flat bottom of the maxi ball. the great plains sluges had tighter lube grooves too...i had a lot of trouble with the pre lubed maxi balls and the lube coming off leaving uneven globs on the bullet...i was wiping them off and putting fresh lube on them as i shot....What a pain in the arse! Sooooooo....now that i know how to "Work up a load"...i'm going to give these Hornady slugs a try....

Hey Lee.....What's with the corn meal thing? i'm thinking that sounds kinda strange to me.....with these hornadt bullets i can despence with the extra wad according to these guys at the shop...they say the base of these bulles expand upon ignition with the concave shape doing a self sealing thing....
any comments on this opinion guys? i know one thing...the pre lubed Hornady bullets are going to be a lot easier to have uniform lube than the maxi ball......

Old 07-09-2008, 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

As stated, if you are not already, I would try some felt wads undneath the maxiballs.

I would also shoot some groups at 75 gr, 80, 85, and 90gr at 25 yards and see if any of those seem to be doing better than 70 gr. If so, then move back to 50 and beyond and see how they do.

What are you planning to hunt with this load?
These guys i just had check my rifle barrel out recommended i start at 50 grains....and work my way up from there????....i could see it if i was using round ball at 175 grains.... but is 50 grains of powder going to be hot enough to push 410 grains of lead? seems a bit light to me....

I'm hunting Roosevelt Elk, hunting cowsin the 700-900 pound range....if you think i'm exagerating on the size of these Elk, i'm not....we hung a 950 pound cow on our meat pole a few years back, and i've seen bulls down there hit 1400 pounds, i kid you not....Some of these dad burn things are as big as work horses!!!!

hence forth, and to wit.....i want the largest chunk of lead i can shoot accurately at about a 100 yards.....i believe i'll most likely never exceed 60 to 80 yards...but there are times a longer shot doespresent itself.....
Old 07-09-2008, 04:19 PM

one more question here guys....what exactly IS the purpose of the wad benieth the bullet? and whats up with the corn meal wad sandwitch Lee?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think that 70-75 grains of powder would be my very lowest amount for shooting bigs hunks of lead at elk. And I really prefer in the 90 grain area if I can find an accurate load.

I have heard different ideas about what the wad does, but basically I think it protects the bullet from the explosion and helps keep gas from leaking by the bullet before it exits. Seems to tighten groups up in most cases.

If I were in your situation with big elk and less than 100 yards, I would start at 400 grains and go up from there. The 460 grain no excuse bullet can't be beat as far as effective elk medicine. The 410 (not the 385) hornady would also be a good choice if they are accurate.

Quick Reply: working up a load?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.