HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   bullet performance post (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/43374-bullet-performance-post.html)

Vapodog 12-03-2003 07:26 PM

RE: bullet performance post

I guess we live and learn....I'm staying with the Swift A-Frames........at least in my .30 calibers......it's served me well so far.....

Stone Cold 12-04-2003 12:41 PM

I want to put my vote against the Nosler Partitions also......

I shoot the 7mm Ultra Mag with 140 grn. bullets.......two does....35 yards.....went through the shoulder and did not exit or show blood. I have both bullets. The deer only went 20 yards but I expected more out ot the bullet. I started shooting them in the head. I killed one last weekend, 150 yards in the head....it dropped and the bullet exited......

As soon as I can finish these shells, I will either reload or hope that other manufacturers make the cartridge.

tabby 12-04-2003 10:53 PM

This experience wasn't done on a deer, but worth while none the less.

Over the summer we were blowing propane bottles up by shoothing them next to a small fire. Using Nosler Ballistic Tips, there was a 3 inch exit hole. Spitzers (dont know what co.), the exit hole was the same size as entrence.

I have also noticed better bullet expansion, quicker killing, and more blood with Balistic Tips as Nosler Partitions.

Balistic Tips for me, all the way.

speyrjb 12-06-2003 01:59 PM

I'm not sure I'm justified in feeling this way but this is my 2 cents.

I like it more when the bullet doesn't exit and this is why. I mainly shoot 3 calibers at whitetail - 22-250, .270 win, and .22 hornet. With the .270 I shoot a 130 gr Nosler spitzer BT loaded to about 2800fps. I always centerpunch the sholder and the bullet never exits. I don't lose much meat, suprisingly little on the front shoulder but because the bullet doesn't exit, I lose none on the back shoulder. When I field dress the deer, the chest cavity looks like it went through a blender. Heart, lungs, everything just decimated and the deer have never, I repeat, never ran off. Every one have dropped in thier tracks. Now the reason I like it when the bullet doesn't exit is because when a bullet exits, the animal doesn't absorb all of the energy of the impact. Some is lost when the bullet exits. When the bullet doesn't exit, the animal absorbs every bit of the knock down power of the caliber and therefore are much less likely to run.

I shoot a 52 gr Horady BTHP in the 22-250 and a 40 gr Sierra HP Varmiter in the 22 hornet. Both of these I take neck shots and the bullet always explodes on the neck bone and doesn't exit. And again, the animal goes absolutely no where.

So long story short, I prefer a bullet that doesn't exit as opposed to a bullet that will.

Anyways, alot of different opinions out there. This is just mine.