HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   bullet performance post (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/43374-bullet-performance-post.html)

Vapodog 11-16-2003 06:52 PM

bullet performance post

I was lucky today...I shot two whitetail does for the freezer. One of them was a fairly large doe and I' d estimate her dressed weight at about 160 pounds.

The shot was at about 80 yards, broadside, and I was fortunate enough to have a good rest..... The .300 H&H spit a 200 grain Swift A-Frame and hit exactly where I aimed.

The doe ran off and left a seriously big blood trail and was found about 50 yards away in heavy and tall grass.

I got what I wanted.....a good blood trail.....but get this...the bullet didn' t exit!!!!!

There' s no hole in the far side hide where the bullet totaled out the rib cage the size of a tennis ball.

The bullet I used is enormous overkill for a white tail doe.....and it didn' t exit.

firsttimeelkhunter 11-16-2003 07:22 PM

RE: bullet performance post

Did you find it in the hide? Seems unusual. Was the angle high to low? I' ve heard stories of the bullet " wrapping" around the body, but not usually with that size a bullet. I also overkilled with the .338 but freezer is full. BTW, Got my last one on Friday night. About oh 125yards w/ the .270 First shot took out the ribs, second into the neck, since it didn' t go down. Both would have been the fatal shot. Well, enjoy the backstraps this week:D, unless you already did;)

James B 11-16-2003 08:02 PM

Got my first antlerless tag filled last week. Used the 100 grain X bullet in the 257 Roberts at the impact she hit the ground so fast that I had to ask my wife where in the hell she went. Hit just at the top of the front shoulder and went out the center of the spine. It was loaded to just over 3100 fps. Next week The Swedish mauser will get the call. I shoot 120 grain Nosler BT' s in that at 2800 fps. Good report guys.

propmahn 11-17-2003 09:13 PM

i would have bet money on that bullet exiting since it is soo heavily constructed and quite heavy for caliber. but then again not everything goes as planned

eldeguello 11-18-2003 09:34 AM

Did you find it inside the deer?

Vapodog 11-18-2003 10:41 AM

Eldeguello...No...and that miffs me.....I can find no bullet nor an exit hole.....the deer bled profusely....no snow but a trail a blind man could follow.

I used these same bullets in Africa for Kudu and Gemsbok and exit wounds are the norm.....

A fluke?.....it' s why I like reading the performance results of others.

mainehunt 11-18-2003 01:26 PM

Have you tried a metal detector?
Sounds funny maybe, but we found one once when we were sure that there was an exit hole. It turned out that the hole was from a chunk of rib or other bone.

445 supermag 11-18-2003 09:58 PM

Vapodog, First congrats to ya on the does for the freezer.

Secondly this is the second time I have read a post from someone using a 300 mag of different flavors but used the swift A-frame and had no exit at all and the game was only deer. The other guy was from GA and used a 200 gr A-frame. Maybe a bad batch of bullets or just a fluke. I don' t know but glad you got the doe. But no one expects nothing but perfect results for bullets that cost that much to not exit a deer for goodness sake.

Brian

Mykey 11-19-2003 05:46 AM

I would have expected more from an a-frame bullet especially on deer and from a 300 no doubt it should have blown through. I have been toying around with the ideal of trying some in my 25cal rifles but now i don' t know. Thanks for the feedback.

mainehunt 11-19-2003 07:38 AM

And to think that the cheap Winchesters that I shoot through my rifles performed better than those expensive A frames. 140 yards, 130 pound doe, .308 Winchester, 150 grain CXP2' s , went through completely.