HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   bullet performance post (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/43374-bullet-performance-post.html)

eldeguello 11-23-2003 01:28 PM

RE: bullet performance post

.....I can find no bullet nor an exit hole.....
I find this interesting, as I just had a similar experience with a bull elk. I shot it at about 40 yards with a 7mm Rem. Mag. using a 175-grain Nosler Partition, MV 3030 FPS. The shot was into the junction of the neck and shoulder on the left side as the critter quartered toward me from right to left. It hit the ground, AND BOUNCED!!, as if it had been struck by lightning, but I found no entrance wound, no exit wound, and no blood. Neither did I find the bullet inside it! There was some bloodshot meat in the tenderloin on the right (far) side, about halfway back. But I didn' t skin the whole thing, we just quartered it out, took the tenderloins, backstraps and head because we were about 2 miles from the truck, and didn' t have a horse to help us get it back....

Vapodog 11-23-2003 03:07 PM

Eldeguello, the value of these posts is high to me because it helps form the foundation of data instead of emotion in choosing bullets for hunting big game.

Almost everyone that has reported about Nosler' s Partician bullets has been very " PRO" on this bullet. Apparantly penetration was very good on your elk, and I take your post as a " pro" comment on NPs.

Thanks for the feedback

jjt 11-23-2003 09:53 PM

vapodog

you gave me the idea in a post i had earlier this year to try the a-frames over nos parts. i was impressed at the range

but a little let down in the field as the bullet performed basicly the same as my nos part with the exception of the front lead was still attached

both bullets shoot very well out of my .270 and 300 wm
both bullets killed animal almost instantly
both shot were in the front shoulder
both bullets did tremendous damage to internal cavity
both bullets failed to exit animal on the far side

differences
swift only lost around 10 gr of weight
nos part lost around 60 gr of weight

I am going to use the rest of the a-frames next year but unless i see some better results i will be going back to the cheaper nos parts

I shoot an average of 300 game loads a year at the range and hunting so the cost plays a role also

I have heard some good reviews on the accubond waiting for mine to arrive in the mail

savage.308 11-24-2003 11:14 AM

I used a 150 gr. Barnes TSX in .308 on a 8 pt. buck this season. It was 130 yards away, the bullet entered mid body just below the spine. Trashed the liver, complete pass through with caliber size hole going in and nickel size going out. The buck went stiff legged and dropped in his tracks with hardly a twitch. Didn' t touch the spine and no blood shot meat. Is this a typical reaction to this type of hit or is it just the shock of the bullet that near the spine that dropped him like that? I was very happy with the results!

dale4848 11-29-2003 06:56 AM

hey guys. im hunting with a t/c 35 rem. cal.i' ve taken alot of deer over the yrs. with it. im haveing a problem with bullet dispersel. i shoot a 180 gr. spire point with 37 grs. 3031 . i love this gun because i shoot it so well. i need a better bullet!! any advice??? RONNIE

fastpassthrough 11-30-2003 11:16 AM

took the tenderlions, backstraps, and head because we were 2 miles from the truck i hope that i read this wrong and you did not leave the rest of the meat because it was to far to pack out because that is elk hunting and if the meat is to far to pack out it should not of been taken Richard

jjt 11-30-2003 12:06 PM

But I didn' t skin the whole thing, we just quartered it out, took the tenderloins, backstraps and head because we were about 2 miles from the truck, and didn' t have a horse to help us get it back....

you miss read (after the first comma)

fastpassthrough 11-30-2003 12:09 PM

VERY NICE:D

handloader1 11-30-2003 11:35 PM

Vapodog:

Congratulations on your kills. The Swift-A Frame you used did not work perfect, but it did not fail. Good luck, and good hunting.

DerbPA 12-03-2003 04:17 PM

Since I started hunting public land two years I wanted a gun that would put a Buck down in its tracks so I bought a Rem 300 ultra mag ! I have shot it alot with many different loads ,Last year I shot a Buck with a 165grn Hornady spbt.right behind shoulder ,deer went 100yds,this year ishot a nice 8 pt about 75yds with nosler partition,in the front shoulders,bullet put in a entrance hole about 1 inch and left exit hole size of my pinky,when i shot the deer buckled and ran down through the laurel out of sight.I got out of my stand and found no blood until about 100yds away then very tiny drops for another 50 yards to the dead buck ! I have put many bucks down faster than this with an arrow! I have a 243 in a model 7 that ihave shot about 8bucks with and one 225 lb bear and dropped every one within 20yds. I have a700 rem 270 that im going to use next year with 140 gn Hspbt or 140 gn Triple shock.:(