HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   bullet performance post (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/43374-bullet-performance-post.html)

Vapodog 11-16-2003 06:52 PM

bullet performance post

I was lucky today...I shot two whitetail does for the freezer. One of them was a fairly large doe and I' d estimate her dressed weight at about 160 pounds.

The shot was at about 80 yards, broadside, and I was fortunate enough to have a good rest..... The .300 H&H spit a 200 grain Swift A-Frame and hit exactly where I aimed.

The doe ran off and left a seriously big blood trail and was found about 50 yards away in heavy and tall grass.

I got what I wanted.....a good blood trail.....but get this...the bullet didn' t exit!!!!!

There' s no hole in the far side hide where the bullet totaled out the rib cage the size of a tennis ball.

The bullet I used is enormous overkill for a white tail doe.....and it didn' t exit.

firsttimeelkhunter 11-16-2003 07:22 PM

RE: bullet performance post

Did you find it in the hide? Seems unusual. Was the angle high to low? I' ve heard stories of the bullet " wrapping" around the body, but not usually with that size a bullet. I also overkilled with the .338 but freezer is full. BTW, Got my last one on Friday night. About oh 125yards w/ the .270 First shot took out the ribs, second into the neck, since it didn' t go down. Both would have been the fatal shot. Well, enjoy the backstraps this week:D, unless you already did;)

James B 11-16-2003 08:02 PM

Got my first antlerless tag filled last week. Used the 100 grain X bullet in the 257 Roberts at the impact she hit the ground so fast that I had to ask my wife where in the hell she went. Hit just at the top of the front shoulder and went out the center of the spine. It was loaded to just over 3100 fps. Next week The Swedish mauser will get the call. I shoot 120 grain Nosler BT' s in that at 2800 fps. Good report guys.

propmahn 11-17-2003 09:13 PM

i would have bet money on that bullet exiting since it is soo heavily constructed and quite heavy for caliber. but then again not everything goes as planned

eldeguello 11-18-2003 09:34 AM

Did you find it inside the deer?

Vapodog 11-18-2003 10:41 AM

Eldeguello...No...and that miffs me.....I can find no bullet nor an exit hole.....the deer bled profusely....no snow but a trail a blind man could follow.

I used these same bullets in Africa for Kudu and Gemsbok and exit wounds are the norm.....

A fluke?.....it' s why I like reading the performance results of others.

mainehunt 11-18-2003 01:26 PM

Have you tried a metal detector?
Sounds funny maybe, but we found one once when we were sure that there was an exit hole. It turned out that the hole was from a chunk of rib or other bone.

445 supermag 11-18-2003 09:58 PM

Vapodog, First congrats to ya on the does for the freezer.

Secondly this is the second time I have read a post from someone using a 300 mag of different flavors but used the swift A-frame and had no exit at all and the game was only deer. The other guy was from GA and used a 200 gr A-frame. Maybe a bad batch of bullets or just a fluke. I don' t know but glad you got the doe. But no one expects nothing but perfect results for bullets that cost that much to not exit a deer for goodness sake.

Brian

Mykey 11-19-2003 05:46 AM

I would have expected more from an a-frame bullet especially on deer and from a 300 no doubt it should have blown through. I have been toying around with the ideal of trying some in my 25cal rifles but now i don' t know. Thanks for the feedback.

mainehunt 11-19-2003 07:38 AM

And to think that the cheap Winchesters that I shoot through my rifles performed better than those expensive A frames. 140 yards, 130 pound doe, .308 Winchester, 150 grain CXP2' s , went through completely.

eldeguello 11-23-2003 01:28 PM

.....I can find no bullet nor an exit hole.....
I find this interesting, as I just had a similar experience with a bull elk. I shot it at about 40 yards with a 7mm Rem. Mag. using a 175-grain Nosler Partition, MV 3030 FPS. The shot was into the junction of the neck and shoulder on the left side as the critter quartered toward me from right to left. It hit the ground, AND BOUNCED!!, as if it had been struck by lightning, but I found no entrance wound, no exit wound, and no blood. Neither did I find the bullet inside it! There was some bloodshot meat in the tenderloin on the right (far) side, about halfway back. But I didn' t skin the whole thing, we just quartered it out, took the tenderloins, backstraps and head because we were about 2 miles from the truck, and didn' t have a horse to help us get it back....

Vapodog 11-23-2003 03:07 PM

Eldeguello, the value of these posts is high to me because it helps form the foundation of data instead of emotion in choosing bullets for hunting big game.

Almost everyone that has reported about Nosler' s Partician bullets has been very " PRO" on this bullet. Apparantly penetration was very good on your elk, and I take your post as a " pro" comment on NPs.

Thanks for the feedback

jjt 11-23-2003 09:53 PM

vapodog

you gave me the idea in a post i had earlier this year to try the a-frames over nos parts. i was impressed at the range

but a little let down in the field as the bullet performed basicly the same as my nos part with the exception of the front lead was still attached

both bullets shoot very well out of my .270 and 300 wm
both bullets killed animal almost instantly
both shot were in the front shoulder
both bullets did tremendous damage to internal cavity
both bullets failed to exit animal on the far side

differences
swift only lost around 10 gr of weight
nos part lost around 60 gr of weight

I am going to use the rest of the a-frames next year but unless i see some better results i will be going back to the cheaper nos parts

I shoot an average of 300 game loads a year at the range and hunting so the cost plays a role also

I have heard some good reviews on the accubond waiting for mine to arrive in the mail

savage.308 11-24-2003 11:14 AM

I used a 150 gr. Barnes TSX in .308 on a 8 pt. buck this season. It was 130 yards away, the bullet entered mid body just below the spine. Trashed the liver, complete pass through with caliber size hole going in and nickel size going out. The buck went stiff legged and dropped in his tracks with hardly a twitch. Didn' t touch the spine and no blood shot meat. Is this a typical reaction to this type of hit or is it just the shock of the bullet that near the spine that dropped him like that? I was very happy with the results!

dale4848 11-29-2003 06:56 AM

hey guys. im hunting with a t/c 35 rem. cal.i' ve taken alot of deer over the yrs. with it. im haveing a problem with bullet dispersel. i shoot a 180 gr. spire point with 37 grs. 3031 . i love this gun because i shoot it so well. i need a better bullet!! any advice??? RONNIE

fastpassthrough 11-30-2003 11:16 AM

took the tenderlions, backstraps, and head because we were 2 miles from the truck i hope that i read this wrong and you did not leave the rest of the meat because it was to far to pack out because that is elk hunting and if the meat is to far to pack out it should not of been taken Richard

jjt 11-30-2003 12:06 PM

But I didn' t skin the whole thing, we just quartered it out, took the tenderloins, backstraps and head because we were about 2 miles from the truck, and didn' t have a horse to help us get it back....

you miss read (after the first comma)

fastpassthrough 11-30-2003 12:09 PM

VERY NICE:D

handloader1 11-30-2003 11:35 PM

Vapodog:

Congratulations on your kills. The Swift-A Frame you used did not work perfect, but it did not fail. Good luck, and good hunting.

DerbPA 12-03-2003 04:17 PM

Since I started hunting public land two years I wanted a gun that would put a Buck down in its tracks so I bought a Rem 300 ultra mag ! I have shot it alot with many different loads ,Last year I shot a Buck with a 165grn Hornady spbt.right behind shoulder ,deer went 100yds,this year ishot a nice 8 pt about 75yds with nosler partition,in the front shoulders,bullet put in a entrance hole about 1 inch and left exit hole size of my pinky,when i shot the deer buckled and ran down through the laurel out of sight.I got out of my stand and found no blood until about 100yds away then very tiny drops for another 50 yards to the dead buck ! I have put many bucks down faster than this with an arrow! I have a 243 in a model 7 that ihave shot about 8bucks with and one 225 lb bear and dropped every one within 20yds. I have a700 rem 270 that im going to use next year with 140 gn Hspbt or 140 gn Triple shock.:(

Vapodog 12-03-2003 07:26 PM

I guess we live and learn....I'm staying with the Swift A-Frames........at least in my .30 calibers......it's served me well so far.....

Stone Cold 12-04-2003 12:41 PM

I want to put my vote against the Nosler Partitions also......

I shoot the 7mm Ultra Mag with 140 grn. bullets.......two does....35 yards.....went through the shoulder and did not exit or show blood. I have both bullets. The deer only went 20 yards but I expected more out ot the bullet. I started shooting them in the head. I killed one last weekend, 150 yards in the head....it dropped and the bullet exited......

As soon as I can finish these shells, I will either reload or hope that other manufacturers make the cartridge.

tabby 12-04-2003 10:53 PM

This experience wasn't done on a deer, but worth while none the less.

Over the summer we were blowing propane bottles up by shoothing them next to a small fire. Using Nosler Ballistic Tips, there was a 3 inch exit hole. Spitzers (dont know what co.), the exit hole was the same size as entrence.

I have also noticed better bullet expansion, quicker killing, and more blood with Balistic Tips as Nosler Partitions.

Balistic Tips for me, all the way.

speyrjb 12-06-2003 01:59 PM

I'm not sure I'm justified in feeling this way but this is my 2 cents.

I like it more when the bullet doesn't exit and this is why. I mainly shoot 3 calibers at whitetail - 22-250, .270 win, and .22 hornet. With the .270 I shoot a 130 gr Nosler spitzer BT loaded to about 2800fps. I always centerpunch the sholder and the bullet never exits. I don't lose much meat, suprisingly little on the front shoulder but because the bullet doesn't exit, I lose none on the back shoulder. When I field dress the deer, the chest cavity looks like it went through a blender. Heart, lungs, everything just decimated and the deer have never, I repeat, never ran off. Every one have dropped in thier tracks. Now the reason I like it when the bullet doesn't exit is because when a bullet exits, the animal doesn't absorb all of the energy of the impact. Some is lost when the bullet exits. When the bullet doesn't exit, the animal absorbs every bit of the knock down power of the caliber and therefore are much less likely to run.

I shoot a 52 gr Horady BTHP in the 22-250 and a 40 gr Sierra HP Varmiter in the 22 hornet. Both of these I take neck shots and the bullet always explodes on the neck bone and doesn't exit. And again, the animal goes absolutely no where.

So long story short, I prefer a bullet that doesn't exit as opposed to a bullet that will.

Anyways, alot of different opinions out there. This is just mine.