Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

270/300 win mag

Old 05-29-2016, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Ya want I should stand behind ya to catch yer shoulder Jeep?? That bugger is gonna have one hell of a sharp and fast recoil pulse buddy! Just thought i'd give ya a little heads up there. That way you won't get that awful SURPRISE I hate them!!!
Ahhhh...nothing a Terminator T3 can't handle
Old 05-29-2016, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Ahhhh...nothing a Terminator T3 can't handle
lol...naaa won't be THAT bad. It will just be an impulse you may not be used to. Much faster though not as much "weight" behind the kick. Don't know if you have ever shot large based cartridges with smallish necked down bullet's so just giving you a heads up. It's kinda different is all. I got scope slapped the first time I did it because I was expecting a more "weighted" and slower recoil like that of a .338 LM. Boy was I mistaken!! My experience is based on my 7mm-338LM. You will probably get an even quicker impulse going down to .277 vs my .284 and pet load of 91.5 retumbo under a 154gr Interbond (glad I got a bunch of them with them now being suspended!!)
Old 05-29-2016, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 7mm AM is basically a 7mm/338 LM AI, I've let 9 year old kids whack does a pretty fir piece with it under my instructions and supervision. I've killed a pile of deer at pretty long range and have never not saw the bullet impact through the scope. It does however weigh 14# it burns 105 gr of wc872 for a MV of 3575 fps with a 160.
RR
Old 05-29-2016, 06:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by jeepkid
James (ridge runner) knows a bit about this stuff...he's one of the originals from LRH (I've been following your thread there). He's been shooting LR before anyone knew what LR was, he even has some stuff from Kirby Allen, Mark Bansner, etc before anyone knew who they were. I'd listen to him...
If youve been following the thread at lrh- then you know the experiences i have chronicled. I dont even have the fastest claims- just pure chrono reads- oehler and the new magneto style.

I only stepped in here to share that info. The 284 Jarret- a necked down 300 to 7mm runs a 140 over 3500 fps. And the 270-300 shoots a 140gr bullet over 3400fps in my rifle. The loads i have shot and posted groups are real.
I dont know what else to say.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Jake, one more chance
the speer #11 manual lists the max load for a 270 BEE with a 140 and IMR 4350 at 69 gr. to run 3200 fps so the 270 Bee has an H20 capacity of 85.3 gr, so how can a larger case make almost 250 fps more with the same charge? yeah you have a 28" barrel vs the 26" on the BEE, that will gain you approx. 60-80 fps so???
RR
The rifle shoots 75 gr of Retumbo like a dream on the 150-165 class bullet. I believe i used 77 grs with the 140 on retumbo.

I experimented with imr 4350 because it is my favorite load with a 300 win mag and 165 gr bullets at 75 gr.

I started at 65 grs with the 140s and worked the load up. It is what it is. Kenny Jarret gets 7stw velocities out of his 284 Jarret, it is 12 gr less capacity than a stw, but it happens.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Ya want I should stand behind ya to catch yer shoulder Jeep?? That bugger is gonna have one hell of a sharp and fast recoil pulse buddy! Just thought i'd give ya a little heads up there. That way you won't get that awful SURPRISE I hate them!!!

And now to address the illustrious Jake. Most of us on this forum have learned through vast experience how to sniff out horse pucky on the net. RR and myself have been reloading since before you were born more than likely. I was wildcatting before RR was out of his diapers and still listen to his advise at times. The scrawny redneck knows a pretty good bit about this here shootin stuff. Now, as for what he has been telling you, and he has been rather nice about it for him actually, I will put in some pretty plain and easy to understand terms for ya. He has been callin BS on your claims because it is, under the laws of physics as well as gas expansion and propulsion laws, impossible to do what you are claiming. Now, if you would like me to provide the math formulas to show you why this is impossible I would be happy to do so. Unlike what we have seen so far from you, we would both be happy to show our work, so to speak, in providing you the clear and unadulterated truth.
Here are 44 pages of my project- let me know what you think.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/270-300-win-mag-now-feasible-155307/
Old 05-29-2016, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
My 7mm AM is basically a 7mm/338 LM AI, I've let 9 year old kids whack does a pretty fir piece with it under my instructions and supervision. I've killed a pile of deer at pretty long range and have never not saw the bullet impact through the scope. It does however weigh 14# it burns 105 gr of wc872 for a MV of 3575 fps with a 160.
RR
LOL yep that extra 5 or 6 pounds tends to slow that impulse a pretty good bit. Funny how a little ole thing like rifle weight does that aint it
Old 05-30-2016, 04:50 AM
Typical Buck

I'll chime in a bit.

Ruger No.1. 30" Pac Nor 1in8" twist in .277. 270 win case. 56gr of H4831. Berger 170gr EOL. 2940fps.

This rifle will stay around .5 MOA depending on my day at the range. It's not a benchrest type of accuracy but getting there real fast.

Now a .339 BC out of a .277 is quite amazing if you think about it. For the most part none of the 6.5's are in that class that I know of but limited on knowledge . It takes at least 180gr bullet in a 7mm to get there and 210+gr in a .308 to match or over come the BC.

I'm not saying it's the best, I'm not saying it's going to take home any awards. All I'm saying is it's about damn time the .277 has got a boat that will make the voyage with the rest of them.

Just for the kicks of it, if you were to put the new .277 bullets in a ultra mag or nosler case with all that capacity. I do believe there would be a light weight contender in the ring. Do they need to build the 27 Nosler as a commercial round? Yes I do believe this is a must. The reason this is not come to light is the 1 in 10" twist of standard .277 rifles made across the country. Things are about to change for the .277 fan club. Give it a few years to catch on. Hornady should of looked harder in their new line of bullets.

I'm bias on this subject because the 6.8mm has been way over looked in all aspects of the perfect medium range class of bullets for long range shooting and hunting.

BTW my load catches my 300WM using 165gr bullets going 3260fps on muzzle energy at 750 yards. Going 300fps slower at the start. So says the calculators. So it is a viable long range hunting set up. Now imagine stamping a magnum on the case and see what she'll do.

I know I'm just spouting and about to get slack, but I'm a 270 fan and it's about to get a following in the long range crowd. But that's just my theory, there's a lot of hard headed folks out there. Over bore pffft. Lets just say most of the super mags are over bore and be realistic. Because you just shortened all the barrel life on all them.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Blackelk you made a typo I think. You said .339 when I'd bet you meant .639.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
Blackelk you made a typo I think. You said .339 when I'd bet you meant .639.
That could be the g7 on the berger 170

Last edited by Jake Duke; 05-30-2016 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.