Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
35 whelen reloading problems >

35 whelen reloading problems

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

35 whelen reloading problems

Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 PM
Spike

Default 35 whelen reloading problems

I am reloading 35 whelen barnes 200 grn ttxp and i used 56 grns of IMR-4064 shooting this out of a TC Pro-Hunter 24" flutted barrel with muzzle brake. The bullet is separating and punching 2 holes in target at 100 yrds. I had no problem with this bullet using RL-15 at 57 grns but can't find this powder anymore. Has anyone experienced this problem can tell me the cause. Have IMR 4198 ansd RL-19 if anyone has a loading recepite for these powders. Also have IMR-4350 I use in my 7MM.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should be shooting close to the same velocity in both loads ( 2680 vs. 2750 approx.) and I don't think the Whelen has enough velocity nor enough spin to compromise a common cup/core bullet let alone a solid copper, I would give the barrel a good cleaning (just to be sure) if that didn't help I would have Barnes evaluate the bullets, might try shooting into water at about 75 yards and see what it's doing.
RR
Old 01-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Spike

I was thinking the same as you about the velocity and i run a bore snake through the barrle about every 5 to 10 shots. i will try shooting at water like you suggested and see what happens. Ive only seen this one time before with a 7MM08 loaded hot and it looked like you shot the target with a shot gun then.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mouchl
I was thinking the same as you about the velocity and i run a bore snake through the barrle about every 5 to 10 shots. i will try shooting at water like you suggested and see what happens. Ive only seen this one time before with a 7MM08 loaded hot and it looked like you shot the target with a shot gun then.
A bore snake will not remove copper fouling, and as a rule the softer copper of the Barnes bullets do foul more, get a good 1 piece rod, a brush and cleaning jag and give it a good cleaning.
RR
Old 01-26-2014, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
A bore snake will not remove copper fouling, and as a rule the softer copper of the Barnes bullets do foul more, get a good 1 piece rod, a brush and cleaning jag and give it a good cleaning.
RR
+1 on this...bore sakes are pretty much useless when trying to tremove any serious grime ot copper fouling. The soft copper and increased fouling of the Barnes bullets is one of the main reasons I stopped using their bullets.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Spike

Thanks guys anybody got any suggestions on the best bullet in 358 (35 whelen) and load recepite. I did load Nosler at one time in the accubond for my 7mmMag and 243 and 7mm08 never tried it in 35 whelen.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

With the MVP of the Whelen, unless your hunting dangerous game you do not need a controlled expansion bullet, Experiment and find a bullet your rifle likes, hodgdon has lots of data available.
RR
Old 01-26-2014, 09:08 PM
Spike

no not hunting any dangerous game here in louisiana none here. just white tail and i use this during primitive weapon season. i don't know what's primitive about it i killed a deer last year with it at 332 yrds. but i do have the leopold scope with the varmit recticle in it that gives you the hold over lines and it's not geuss work. but still primitive to me would be like 50 to 100 yrds capable.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

If it's a deer bullet you're looking for, I'd suggest taking a look at the 225gr Sierra. That bullet shoots sub MOA out of my M750 Carbine and my Buddy's M77 SS Hawkeye. I've yet to try it in my Hawkeye as the load I'm now shooting in it is already very accurate.