Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.300rum

Old 01-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default .300rum

finally got some range time with reloads here is last group with bereger vld 175gr with 96gr of retumbo fed 215m. this is my first time with any berger bullets im a barnes fan but these look good at punching paper at least
Attached Thumbnails .300rum-berger.jpg  
Old 01-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

im looking at trying the 200gr barnes ttsx long range any one have any experience with them ,heres a pic of group with 180 barnes factory vor-tx
Attached Thumbnails .300rum-factory.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not bad at all.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not bad shooting.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

try them on game, you have never saw a barnes kill like a berger will
RR
Old 01-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

my cousin is the one who is trying to get me to go with berger but the buck he shot this year with the vld litteraly blew apart, only a piece of the copper jacket was recovered and no pass threw and that's on a texas hill country buck and there not generally big bodied dear but I guess a guy could chalk that up to high velocities and @ 100 yards with a 300wby mag my guess that long range bullet works better once it slows down at a further range but not sure
Old 01-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by REM7MMAG
my cousin is the one who is trying to get me to go with berger but the buck he shot this year with the vld litteraly blew apart, only a piece of the copper jacket was recovered and no pass threw and that's on a texas hill country buck and there not generally big bodied dear but I guess a guy could chalk that up to high velocities and @ 100 yards with a 300wby mag my guess that long range bullet works better once it slows down at a further range but not sure
that's what bergers are designed to do, penetrate 2 inches then go to pieces, use all theyre retained energy on impact, if you want pass-thru's try the thicker jacketed match bullets (yellow box)
RR
Old 01-05-2014, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

ty for replies makes sense ,RR wich ones do u suggest for long range hunting
Old 01-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default My first year loading the 7 mag with Bergers

Originally Posted by REM7MMAG
ty for replies makes sense ,RR wich ones do u suggest for long range hunting
I loaded some 168 gr VLD Hunting Bergers I shot 4 deer under 200 yards with great success, and on the one at 562 yds I found the bullet what was left of it lodged between the hide and 2 broken ribs after it went through 2 vertabrays length ways, (a kentucky heart) I weighed the remainder of that bullet at about 30 grains, I then went back and read on the Berger website after this bullet begins to penetrate it is designed to shed 40 to 85% of its weight as shrapnel so it did what it is supposed to do. My first 4 deer kills where 3 in the vitals and 1 head shot at 62 yards they do kill instantly and with alot of hydrostatic shock.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

in a standard factory barrel the orange box hunting bullets, whichever weight shoots best at the ranges ya wanna shoot, but with the RUM, I would stay off the shoulder blade till they are at least 200 yards away.
RR