HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Relaoding kit
Thread: Relaoding kit
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I started out with a Lee Anniversary Single Stage Press kit around 15-16yrs ago. Hate single stage pressing to this day.

I ramped up to a progressive press when I was shooting 3gun, first a Lee 1000, then an RCBS Pro 2000, then ended up selling them when I quit reloading in high volume.

The PERFECT set up for me these days is a Turret press. I have that old Lee Challenger Single Stage press set up with a universal decapping die, then use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean my brass. I have an RCBS crank case trimmer, and use a Lee EZ Prime to prime. Then everything goes to the turret press. I didn't splurge for the auto bullet feeder or powder feeder, so I somewhat run my turret like a single stage, resize (neck or full length) all of the brass, prime separately, then powder separately, then back on the press to seat the bullet and receive crimp (for certain rounds).

The best part of the Turret press, even though I use it more like a single stage, is that I can leave ALL of my dies set at the perfect height. So I totally eliminate the trial and error of resetting dies between stages, and I can swap back and forth between different cartridges in a few seconds, all without worrying about setting the dies properly.

I have a hornady 3-in-1 case prep tool, cheap, $100, works well enough. Hornady Lock-n-load ultra sonic cleaner.

I use a hornady lock-n-load powder measure/scale to dispense the powder, then double check it on my old Lee Safety Scale (don't trust electronics with my fingers or face) before charging the cases.

Since the new baby arrived, I had to give up my workshop room, so I converted a Black & Decker Work-Mate Bench with a 2'x2' slab of 3/4" particle board into a mini reloading bench. One corner is my decapping press, the other corner is my turret press, along one side is the crank trimmer, the other side is my case prep tool, and the powder measure sits in the middle with the Safety Scale to the side of it (still has my Lee Perfect Powder Measure) mounted as well, but never use it. I set it up so I can turn the table as I go(weighs about 25lbs?) and hit each different function. Kinda feel silly for having such a big reloading bench before!