Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Lee Collet Die

Old 07-28-2003, 12:02 AM

Default RE: Lee Collet Die

Bigcountry,

On the Lee collet dies try adjusting the die down a little to get a firmer grip on the bullet. Also rotate the brass case a 1/2 turn and cycle the press again. The marks on the case neck don' t seem to affect anything, as far as I can tell. These dies seem to take more adjusting time, but once you get them adjusted they are great.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:44 PM

I use Lee collet dies only to seat the bullet. I use RCBS in either fl or neck sizing dies. never have any problem with any of them. Gunsite
Old 12-22-2003, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, I had similar results with my Lee collet die the first time I used it too! I did what my wife calls the last resort ... reread the directions and tried to reset the die from scratch. I found that if I'd followed the directions the first time it would've solved some problems ( I figured if 1 -2 turns was good 3 or 4 would be better). Set the die for the minimum amount of pressure and try it; seemed by giving the die room to work it did. I haven't loaded any ammo yet after retuning the die but it seemed to work better as It would grip the bullet much tighter that way. good luck and Merry Christmas
Old 12-22-2003, 10:33 PM
bigcountry

I ended up putting the madrel in a lathe and taking off a mil or two. I now feel the neck tension is where it should be. Also, I really can't complain about runout. For once fired brass out of the same gun, I get almost no runout any more.

Old 12-23-2003, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first few attempts to neck size brass with the Lee collet die were excercises in total frustration. I either didn't get enough neck tension or I got buckled necks. I quit trying and it sat on a shelf for about a month before I tried it again. I was determined to get it to work, however. I took it apart and examined everything and it occured to me that the parts were just too roughly finished to work properly. There were burrs around the mouth of the collet sleeve that were making gouges in the collet. So I polished the collet and collet sleeve (where they come in contact with each other) going up to 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I reduced the mandrel by .001". When I reassembled everything, I applied a little dab of grease around the mouth of the collet sleeve.

Well, my efforts paid off. The collet die has worked perfectly (and quite effortlessly I might add) since I gave it this tune up. I have performed the same procedure to subsequent collet dies and they have all worked great.

I don't know when the patent expires on this die, but when it does I hope one of the other companies starts making their own collet die. It's a great concept, but I think Redding or Forster would do a much better job with it. Lee might have come up with the idea, but their execution of it leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

bigcountry,

Just got thru reading your question and all the replys on the collet dies. I've been using the Lee collet dies, several sets, for a long time now and love them. As others have stated, its not for crimping, it resizes the neck. The farther you screw it in the tighter the neck fits the bullet. I have found that after setting it I use my on South Georgia testing procedure. I take my thumb and push on the bullet, if it doesn't move, its' right. Have never had a bullet pushed down while in the clips from firing, etc. Crude, but works for me. Someone on the forum recommended rotating the case, this also works to make it more uniform.

As for as the Lee die, there may be better ones on the market, but I'm well satisfied with mine.

My two cents worth.

dog1