Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Which collet puller? >

Which collet puller?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Which collet puller?

Old 09-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which collet puller?

I have some loads that I need to pull apart. Some .223 where I am right at max, and do not get consistent ejection from my H&R, and some .30-06 where the primers failed to fire. I have a Frankford Arsenault inertia bullet puller, but it will not pull either bullet out, and I am just denting my table with it. I think the next thing I need to get is a COLLET bullet puller. I have all RCBS equipment, just wondering what everyone has used. Any help would be great!!!
Old 09-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which collet puller?

Id use a kinetic bullet puller rcbs and frankford arsenal both make one these will pull a case apart and not hurt any of the components where collet bullet pullers tend to hurt the bullet.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

oh i didnt read your post all the way through, i use the frankford puller it works awesome for me my guess is you are not striking a solid enough of a surface and you must not be hitting the surface at a 90 degree angle its takes a few tries to get used too it in my opinion i wouldnt use anything else. but if you must use a collet puller get the hornady its the best one out there
Old 09-25-2004, 10:51 PM

I have an RCBS collet bullet puller and it works just fine. I occasionally get some marks on bullets I pull when I tighten down too hard but, so what. Those marks aren't going to affect the flight of the bullet in real life.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Cabelas collet bullet puller, It works well, but my main complaint with it is, it comes with 4 or 5 different collets and there is nowhere to keep the other collets when not in use, the handle is hollow, I dont know why they didnt make storage space in it. If one of my buddies borrows it, I have to give them a baggie with the extra parts in it too, (just one more thing to lose ) as far as denting your table, I have a rug in my basement, I just whack the rug, that on top of my concrete floor, works great.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:28 AM

I think the next thing I need to get is a COLLET bullet puller.
Naaa. All you need is a a piece of lumber cut square on the ends, preferably a 4x4, about a foot long. A 2x4 will work but a 4x4 will be easier to strike. The board should be placed on something solid, like a concrete floor, or a block. Strike the other end with your puller. It will work. You need to strike the end grain, it doesn't compress too much like your table surface, but it gives enough to keep from breaking your puller. Another tip. Place some foam rubber or similiar in your puller (unless they already did at the factory) to cushion the bullets and prevent denting the nose.

mossy33oak's rug on croncrete will work too, but the 4x4 will get the work higher off the floor.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:28 AM

One of my best buys was the RCBS collet puller and collets to fit the calibers that I shoot. This tool works very well and hardly ever even marks the bullet with anything that can be seen with the naked eye.